Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

chain masterlink?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 11:23 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chain masterlink?

Hey hows it going. I have a 01 400 honda ex and my chain is to the tightning limit. the adjuster is turned as far as it will go and the chain still moves up and down like 3 or 4 inches. Does anybody know if the stock chain has a masterlink or not. I did check but can not see it on my chain. Does anybodyelse have any experience with this. Do i need to get a new chain, or can i buy a masterlink at the local honda dealer. If i can buy the masterlink does anybody know what size do i get or if i cant get it at the local honda dealer could you tell me the name of the link and where i can buy a masterlink. Thanks.

Old 01-07-2004, 11:49 PM
Pro Rider

I am not positive but you should have a masterlink in that chain somewhere. It should be a 520 series chain but you will have to check if it is a standard or O-ring chain. Not sure what they come stock. If it is an O-ring chain, you may have to replace it as the o-rings are probably deteriorated pretty bad but if they aren't cracked, they should be fine. You can just remove a couple links and keep on trucking. You can get a master link from any dealer, honda, polaris, all the chains are the same or even a bearing retailer should have them.

Old 01-08-2004, 01:09 AM
Pro Rider

Stock chain does not have a masterlink. If you are still running the original chain, give it a 21 gun salute, and bury it.

Don't just throw a new chain on. You'll need to replace both sprockets as well. Get a DID X ring chain.

Old 01-08-2004, 02:40 AM
Pro Rider

Why would you need new sprockets? There is no reason to replace them unless they are worn out. If they look good, leave them. But the DID chain is definetly an excellent replacement and upgrade.

Old 01-08-2004, 08:55 AM
Pro Rider

If that's the original chain, and it's played out, the sprockets are gone, as well. Worn sprockets will eat a new chain up in 1/2 the time.

Old 01-08-2004, 09:48 AM
Pro Rider

Chains and sprockets wear as a set. If you replace one and not the other, you end up wearing both more as they each try to wear in the other to mate themselves up. Unless you are running some superhard materials for sprockets, you should be thankful for the wear you have out of them and move on.

As for the chain being so stretched that you still have that much play, you should investigate just how the tightening process is done. It is quite possible that you are tightening it too much during each adjustment (which leads to severe forces generated when the suspension compresses) and leads to the chain stretching much faster. The other serious side affect to this is the forces applied to the output shaft. These forces have the potential to ruin bearings and seals, and if done to the extreme, can crack a case. While yer in there, take a look at the seal behind the sprocket. If it looks like the seal is leaking, you have apparently started the process.

On the flip side, having your chain too loose can be bad as well. As you generate torgue and the load changes (whoops, varying terrain.. etc) the chain will act somewhat like a rubberband going from tight to loose and back to tight.. you get the point... this too can cause extra wear on the sprockets and the output shaft. Follow the proceedure. That is why there is one.

As for the masterlink... You will get one with a new chain.

Ride On.

Old 01-08-2004, 01:02 PM
Pro Rider

well said 95 wolverine, if you're gong to get a new chain, definitly get a DID x-rig chain ($65 on ebay) and a new front steel sprocket ($13 ebay) and a new steel rear sprocket ($15 ebay) dont even waste your money on the aluminum ones.