Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

how do i clean out crankcase?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 12:51 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do i clean out crankcase?

well last weekend i drowned out my 2002 foreman es. Anyway, i didn't get any water in the cylinder, but there is water in the crankcase. anyway i changed out the oil a few times until it came up clear. So then when i changed the filter, a bunch of that water/oil mix stuff came out. i pulled the recoil starter again and it was pumping tons of that stuff out. Should i keep pulling that until no more comes out? Or should i run some diesel through the system? i'm open to anything.

Old 01-30-2004, 02:17 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Have you started the motor at all, since the drowning? Im trying to figure out how it got in...crankcase vent? Dipstick hole?
If you can get it in a warm place, like a heated garage, and leave the dipstick out, drain plug out, and oil filter cover off, and spray some wd 40 inside the motor, and maybe put an electic heater under the motor, to get it warm. maybe after a few days itll dry out enough to add oil and run it till hot. Id be concerned about rusting inside the motor, thats why id spray wd40 in it.. Not sure about adding deisel...ive done it, but not an any motor that really mattered to me. The only way to really get it all out, is to run it, and let the heat dry things out.

Old 01-30-2004, 03:58 PM
Trailblazer

i drained everything and ran it for a couple hours after it happened. Then when i got home thats when i changed everything out.

Old 01-30-2004, 06:50 PM
Pro Rider

go to wal-mart and get some of this stuff called "motor flush" to finish off the job

Old 01-30-2004, 06:59 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 4504x4
well last weekend i drowned out my 2002 foreman es. Anyway, i didn't get any water in the cylinder, but there is water in the crankcase. anyway i changed out the oil a few times until it came up clear. So then when i changed the filter, a bunch of that water/oil mix stuff came out. i pulled the recoil starter again and it was pumping tons of that stuff out. Should i keep pulling that until no more comes out? Or should i run some diesel through the system? i'm open to anything.
all you need to do is run Karosene in it fill it completely fire it over without starting it! it will draw out the water, drain it run a air hose blow out the best you can, refill with oil...remember when you drain your oil on the Honda when the filter is out crank motor over with out starting and it will push about a 1/4 quart of oil out that is were probably you keep getting water and milky still, once you do this you should be fine run it for about 30 minutes and the rest of the milky looking oil should disapate.

Old 01-31-2004, 01:23 AM
Trailblazer

i'll try that tom, so i fill the oil sump with kerosene right?

Old 01-31-2004, 03:04 AM
Pro Rider

i'll try that tom, so i fill the oil sump with kerosene right?
fill the crankcase with Kerosene and do as I said, I did this when I had to chase my mojave down the muddy river in ashland ohio in the late 80's it worked just like the local Kawie shop told me that it would. I tried the oil changings and it wouldn't work I did this after that and many times after and it worked perfect, it's very important to get it out for it can hurt the bearings.

Old 01-31-2004, 12:10 PM
Trailblazer

i'm not very mechanical, but fill the crankcase means put it in the oil sump right? otherwise how do you put it in the crankcase.

Old 01-31-2004, 12:30 PM
Pro Rider

i'm not very mechanical, but fill the crankcase means put it in the oil sump right? otherwise how do you put it in the crankcase.
yes were you put the oil in the motor correct.

Old 01-31-2004, 12:42 PM
Trailblazer

thanks again.

Quick Reply: how do i clean out crankcase?