Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rincon questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 02:17 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rincon questions

I have heard that one of the complaints about the Rincon is the 3 speed tranny and how it doesn't always provide braking when needed. An example mentioned was slowing so you could negotiate a downhill turn. You have to hit the throttle to downshift the tranny to take advantage of the engine braking.
Is this still an issue if you are in ESP mode instead of auto? Can't you just downshift manually and avoid this problem?

Also, I was told by the Honda dealer that, although in auto mode it is a 3 speed, in ESP there are 5 gears. Is this true?

Lastly, has the lack of a locking front differential truely been a problem to anyone?

Thanks,
Craig

Old 02-01-2004, 02:48 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Rincon questions

your exactly right just put the rinny in esp mode and in first gear and you have all the engine bracking ive ever needed. plus whats the problem with using one of the three break levers provided? the rinny may not have the greatest engine breaking but its always been adaquate for me and when its not use the brakes!!!

your honda dealer told you in esp mode it has 5 gears? he must be a car saleaman because it has the same three gears in esp as it does in automatic. wow what a dufuss dont listen to him anymore, do your own homework and get the facts for yourself. that way you can make an informed/educated decision when you go to spend your hard earned money on a quad.

as for the locking diff i have never found this a problem. i must admit i do not go mud bogging either. there are definetly certain situations where i could see a locking diff would come in handy. as for me my style of ridding didnt require one.

ill tell you what i tell everyone thinking about buying a rinny, make a list of what you want your new quad to be able to do and what you are willing to spend. also check on what after market parts are available and at what prices (if performance add ons are important to you.) then surf the net and find out what each of the quads your considering have to offer you. this way youll have a machine taylored to you and not something a dealer talked you into.

good luck
ps i have a 03 rinny with 800 miles, bone stock and love every inch ive driven it. couldnt be happier.

Old 02-01-2004, 11:04 AM
Pro Rider
Default Rincon questions

Thanks Rez 187. I thought that was unusually for it to have extra gears in ESP. I agree on the using the brakes. Do you find the 3 gears lacking anywhere in torque or necessary power range if you hit the gas? Any flat spots? I will do a lot more slow speed riding than high speed. It is for casual riding, hunting, snow plowing, and some chores around the property. Easier and more fun to check fences and cows etc. on an ATV than bounce the fields in my F350 Crewcab Fx4.

As for accessories, all I really need is some more rack space, a winch, and a plow blade. I don't plan on messing with the motor or suspension so aftermarket stuff there doesn't matter.

Old 02-01-2004, 01:42 PM
Range Rover
Default Rincon questions

You'll find the 3 gears more than adequate... I love my rinny.

People have to complain about something with the Rinny, and it's always engine braking.. well, use the friggin brakes man! They work good!

Old 02-01-2004, 10:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Rincon questions

i havnt found any problems with three gears. mine will do at least 60mph plenty fast for me in any type of riding i do. i have heard some concern for people plowing snow or doing farm work, i dont see any reason why the rinny would have a problem. true it has no sub or low gear but it has plenty of power to do any farm work or plowing. plus the ride the rinny provides is second to none, great for that long day on the farm where you find yourself in the seat of your quad for hours at a time. i think your making a good choice, i love my rinny and wouldnt trade it if i could.

once again good luck and do your homework so you can make an informed decision. those dealers are there to make money not to take into account your best interests.

Old 02-03-2004, 03:27 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Rincon questions

The Rinny is a great machine. The ride is awsome. The engine braking is good, most of the time. For what it sounds like you will use it for ( I haven't plowed with it though), it should work fine. The engine braking and no "low" gear, is only an issue when you are on <u>really steep and technical trails </u>where you need to really crawl along. Where you need to focus on maneuvering and manipulating the quad. Having to completely use the brakes is these situations really sucks, and can be dangerous. Unless of course you are a super expert. Most trails and roads this is not a big isssue though. I love to ride those kinds of trails, but I won't do it with my Rinny, I just take the foreman. For everything else,it's the Rinny hands down.

Good Luck