Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Choke Problem on Rancher AT

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 08:42 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choke Problem on Rancher AT

Have any of you guys had any problems with your chokes on your quads. Here is what mine is doing. When I first go to start it up I pull the choke all the way out and hit the starter button and it starts right up. Then I will let it run for about for a few minutes until I think that it's good and warmed up. Then when I go to push the choke in it dies on me. Then I tried to start it again with the choke and it won't start. So then I push the choke fully in and hold just a little bit of throttle and it starts right up. Is this normal? Shouldn't I be able to push the choke in after it's warmed up and the quad stay running? Iv'e been told that they are cold blooded. Can anyone give me some advice on what needs to be adjusted or is it because it's so cold blooded?

Old 02-04-2004, 08:55 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Manufacturers jet everything lean, to meet air quality regulations. This makes most bikes rather cold blooded. Once it starts, I take the choke off, and nurse the throtle for a minute until it warms up enough to run on its own. Leaving the choke on to long, might soot up your spark plug. Also, the Rancher 350's have a carburator heater, and I assume the AT does also???? In cold weather, turn you key on for a minute or two, before you start the engine.

Old 02-04-2004, 09:12 AM
Range Rover

Thanks for the info. Here is what I tried and it seemed to work. I start it with full choke then after a couple of minutes I push the choke down and as i'm doing that I give it a little bit of gas and it seems to do just fine. Is that an Ok way to do it?

Old 02-04-2004, 10:44 AM
Range Rover

My Rancher AT acts exactly as you indicated. I have started doing the half choke and then using a small amount of throttle. I then weaned my self to just idle and throttle. I am sure once they are broken in more, this won't be a problem. You do not want the RPMs too high, or you will have a problem engaging the tranny.

Old 02-04-2004, 11:48 AM
Range Rover

My foreman is the same, I keep the choke on a little longer and let it warm up for a few minutes. Sometimes I even ride slowly with the choke on, not more than a little throttle though. It does take quite a while to warm up.

Old 02-04-2004, 11:52 AM
Trailblazer

Ditto, mine does the exact same thing. After I let it run for a minute or two, I will slowly push in the choke and give it just a little throttle. After riding it for a few minutes, then I push the choke all the way in. I usually don't have to use the choke again to start it when I get off the quad to set my traps. Unless I'm setting quite a few and it's really cold out. Then I have to pull the choke out again. Once I get started I push the choke back in again.

Have fun!!

Don

Old 02-04-2004, 12:09 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: rickytz7111
Thanks for the info. Here is what I tried and it seemed to work. I start it with full choke then after a couple of minutes I push the choke down and as i'm doing that I give it a little bit of gas and it seems to do just fine. Is that an Ok way to do it?
yeap.... that is a typical cold blooded honda for ya.
my 2004 rancher and my 2001 rubicon was the same way.
I start it with full choke... starts right away , keep it on for about 10 second, slowly push it about half way, leave it for an other 10 sec. than close the choke (push all the way in) at the same time give it a slight trottle and let off and it idles just fine.
if you are in very cold temp. area than you need to leave the choke on longer.
allow it warm up a bit more before take off.

Old 02-04-2004, 01:04 PM
Range Rover

Thanks Guys. I have another question the book says to idle them at 1400 + or- 100. Isn't that kind of high or is that what all of you idle your bikes at?

Old 02-04-2004, 01:12 PM
Pro Rider

Mine is the same way, coldblooded. Once you're used to it, it's not a problem. On really cold days, a prime is necessary to light it up, then full choke for about 30 seconds, then half choke for as long as a few minutes. I usually ride away on half choke, then slowly ease it off once the engine gets some heat in it. It won't hurt anything, since every car and truck out there is driven with some sort of enrichment for the first little while.

Old 02-04-2004, 02:53 PM
Range Rover

So it's ok to ride with them 1/2 choked? What if I just ease it off and warm it up with just a little throttle is that ok as well?

Quick Reply: Choke Problem on Rancher AT