Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Pipe Shootout yet for 450R ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 02:35 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pipe Shootout yet for 450R ?

Does anyone have any info on new products or existing ones for the new HONDA R ? I was originally thinking about the HRC kit - but I saw a BigGun and WhiteBros pipe at the Honda dealer yesterday - and they look way nicer and lighter than the stock beast. Just love what it would look like with one of those or a Yoshi --- And Im not crazy about getting 5hp+ out of anything - its fast enough - just want a little more 'ummmph' when prancing around the dunes - but not too much because of the new NOISE police. Any ideas or suggestions anyone ?

Thanks.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 02-19-2004, 03:11 AM
Weekend Warrior

I would also like to no the same. I have a Yosh on order but am afraid it won't make it in b/4 spring break in G;lamis. (3-12 / 3-21). My dealer has ordered it direct from Yosh. Nothing yeet?????? What other pipes are available f/ it? & are any out der yet?? I am still fighting a slight bottom end bog. Butt it screams @ higher R's. What's a rider ta do?

Old 02-19-2004, 10:21 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have it right in front of me, but one of the magazines ran an interview with an R&D guy from FMF. He said that anybody can build a pipe that will LOOK GOOD ON THE DYNO, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will function out in the real world! A manufacturer has to strike a balance between performance, durability, noise, etc. Words of wisdom, I think!

I don't pay much attention to those magazine "dyno" pipe shootouts.

Old 02-19-2004, 12:42 PM
Pro Rider

Their are pipes availible from Sparks, ESR, Baldwin, White bros., HMF, Big Gun...I have a Sparks on mine now the only drawback will be noise it is much louder than the hrc endcap. I don't think you would have a prob. with the hrc it was still pretty quite.

You do realise that the hrc kit isn't just the end cap. The kit is a cam, 185 jet, new needle, open airbox top, air inlet and crank vent tee. The kit makes a pretty big differance all across the rpm range not just at the top.

If you feel their is not enough "ummmph" try a 13 tooth front sprocket it will give you plenty of instant accelleration!

Old 02-19-2004, 07:23 PM
Trailblazer

Is the HRC easy to install or did you have someone do it ?

aftermarket pipes sound much better than stock and look nicer too - im just afraid of messing with the jetting.
Im looking for a company that will give jetting info as well.

I saw HMF pipes give you the actual specs - thats cool - would Yoshi or FMF do that if you call them or buy their product ? White Bros R4's look cool also - but once again - what jetting is tested and how does it do ???

just wondering.

Old 02-19-2004, 08:13 PM
Trailblazer

Most of the time If you call who ever made your pipe directly, ie call HMF, or sparks and tell them at what elevation you are at they will give some specs on jetting.

Old 02-19-2004, 08:29 PM
Pro Rider

The hrc kit is easy to install. Just a jet, needle and cam change really. It took me about an 45 mins.

Jetting really isn't that tough...Sparks, ESR, Baldwin will all help you with just a phone call if you buy their pipe. Just remember to get your quad up to operating temp before you start changing jets.