Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

yfz450 or trx450r

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 12:20 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yfz450 or trx450r

I think I am going to go with the yfz because it just suits my aggressive riding style more from what I have been reading

Old 02-23-2004, 12:22 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Going up a tooth in front would gain you high end at the expense of low end.

I trail rode a friends YFZ for several hours, and I was so glad to get off it an back onto the Z400! Like I said, real stiff suspension, and a real rough ride. Both machines a revey, which isn't the best choice out on the trail.

Have you considered a Z400???? Great motor and great handling all around!!!

Old 02-23-2004, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider

I have rode the YFZ it is a bad _ss bike, but like they say. u almost have to stand up. Sitting is not a good option due to the vibs going through the seat and bars. U have to ride it hard, there is no going slow.

Look at your most option of riding. Is it more trail then open areas, and track or the track and open areas are more than the trail. I would go with the Honda if your riding is more trail than others. you would be more happy with that, than riding the Yamaha on the trails. That is my thought anyway. I am not being bias toward one bike like I said the Yamaha is a wicked bike. Hopefully soon I will get to ride the Honda 450. I have ridden theCRF 450 dirt bike, at that is awesome.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-23-2004, 01:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well I usually won't be going slow and I do ride more trails but the trails are on farm land which is open field. there is a couple of tight trails but we usually just rip around in the fields or go to the trails that have jumps in them. I'm leaning more towars the yfz but, I will test drive both this weekend

Old 02-23-2004, 02:16 AM
Trailblazer

you guys are compaling about the seat. but will spend 450+++ on a pipe and not put a 5$$$ piece of foam under the seat cover. give me a break. go to the local upholstry shop and have them cut you one. but if you just want a cosey ride in stock form the yfz is not for you. i think both bikes are great (yfz trx). and will only be good for us buyers in the future. both are kick butt rides.

Old 02-23-2004, 03:00 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: anthony7
you guys are compaling about the seat. but will spend 450+++ on a pipe and not put a 5$$$ piece of foam under the seat cover. give me a break. go to the local upholstry shop and have them cut you one. but if you just want a cosey ride in stock form the yfz is not for you. i think both bikes are great (yfz trx). and will only be good for us buyers in the future. both are kick butt rides.
Take your time and read the posts carefully next time, they mentioned that the suspension is alittle too stiff for trail riding.

Your best bet is to test ride both machines, if thats possible. I think you would be happy with either, both are nice quads.

Old 02-23-2004, 03:09 PM
Pro Rider

The YFZ is a bit faster stock. It also revs out better, and has a better motor design. The YFZ can be modded to 50-51 HP for about $300. You will be tearing a LOT of stuff up then. The torque is excellent with a pipe.

Old 02-23-2004, 03:13 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RoughRider01
Originally posted by: anthony7
Take your time and read the posts carefully next time, they mentioned that the suspension is alittle too stiff for trail riding.

Your best bet is to test ride both machines, if thats possible. I think you would be happy with either, both are nice quads.

The YFZ suspension is not the least bit stiff. I wonder what the Honda feels like if you think the YFZ is stiff. Please. Ever ride a 400EX or a Z400? Those linear rate springs are 10 times worse. I think the YFZ is incredibly plush, even in stock form. And even though the Z400 has a softer seat, it's also harder to move around on and I get fatigued faster because the angle where the seat transitions down cuts off some circulation to the lower legs.

Old 02-23-2004, 03:19 PM
Pro Rider

i have never heard of anyone complaining about the z400s seat cutting off the circulation to your legs..... but from what i have heard is that the trx450r is a little more comfortable than the yfz450 (becuase of the seat) but i dont know about the shocks i think they both should be a little stiff considering both companies had racing in mind when they were building them. but then again i could be wrong.

Old 02-23-2004, 04:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

don't you have to set the suspension to your own weight anyway so if the suspenstion wasn't set right then wouldn't it make it a rough ride?

Quick Reply: yfz450 or trx450r