Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rancher AT drifting to the right???

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 08:32 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rancher AT drifting to the right???

I have a 2004 AT. It has been to the shop twice now for it pulling to the right. Now it doesn't seem like that it pulls it just drifts to the right when you let go of the handle bars. It may stilll have a slight pull. But I don't think so. I do know that it does still go right. What could cause this? A toe in or toe problem? How many time do they have to fix this problem before I can consider it a lemon? That is the only problem that I have had with it. Thanks for any Info

Old 02-27-2004, 08:42 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Center the handle bars and then look at the tires to see if the right one tips out more than the left.

Old 02-27-2004, 08:55 PM
Range Rover

If it does what does that mean? Or what needs to be done. I know that he aligned it the first time then the second time I don't know what he did. But when he aligned he left all the wheels on the ground.

Old 02-27-2004, 09:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

You can check the toe-out yourself. Mark the front center of the tires with some tape. Measure the distance between the marks on the tire. Push the quad backwards until the marks are at the rear of the tires. Measure the distance once again between the marks. Do this on a flat surface. The difference from front to back tells you how much they are toed out. Maybe he adjusted each side equally when the right side needed to come in a little more. The Rancher AT service manual will tell you what the proper toe out is. Maybe someone can tell you what it should be set at. It is normal for it to be toed out some.

Old 02-27-2004, 09:24 PM
Range Rover

When you mean center do you mean like where the tread is located at? And then measure it across and see what I get. Then push it bacward and take another reading?

Old 02-27-2004, 09:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I would mark the center with a piece of duct tape or something. (Center where treads are facing forward) Then maybe draw a line on the tape right at the center point. Rotate the tire backwards 180 degrees facing backwards towards the foot peg area.

Old 02-27-2004, 09:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

You're just trying to find out the difference between the two front tires at the front and rear points.

Old 02-27-2004, 09:34 PM
Pro Rider

make sure the psi is the same in both tires. that can cause it to drift some if its uneven.

Old 02-27-2004, 11:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

the proper toe out on a rancher AT is 1/2 to 9/16" according to honda techs. I had the same situation not to long ago and that is what a tech told me. It fixed mine.

Old 02-28-2004, 11:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

These might seem too simple but, check tire pressure. Try it on the left side of the road, remember roads are turtle backed for drainage.
Ed

Quick Reply: Rancher AT drifting to the right???