Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Thank You

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 02:25 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thank You

The two best theft deterrents are dogs and lights. Burglars do not like well lit areas or a barking dog.

Old 03-15-2004, 02:42 AM
RIP Dear Friend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank You

Originally posted by: Specta
barking dog.
hehehe even half pit bull works

Old 03-15-2004, 05:28 PM
Range Rover
Default Thank You

it was a garage about 30ft long by about 20ft wide. their are 2 windows both the with them locks you turn a bar over a a peg like thing. their is a side door which you couldnt get through it is solid and the main garage door that opens upwards, but can only be locked and unclocked by the inside. what they dad was yanked of the handle outside the main garage door thinking it would open but it didnt, so they went around the back and forced open a window, got in, opened the main garage door from the inside, and pushed the quads out. they must have planned it for a long time, and watched over the house every night because my dad parked his car infront of the garage every night, but this 1 night it wasnt parked their because it went in to be fixed, they broke in. so, heres the deal, if you have windows, get bars put up and thread the screws so they cant be undone. if you have a garage door that opens upwards, bolt it and padlock it to the floor(a sealed padlock so they cant cut it off) and get motion sensors, because as soon as that thing goes off, it would wake the neighbourhood. please take my advice, becasue we all think 'ah, it would never happen to me', but it does, ive learnt my lesson, and i wouldnt want that to happen to anyone.

Old 03-15-2004, 05:54 PM
Range Rover
Default Thank You

If it were me, I would put grates on the inside of my windows. Bolted through from the outside with carriage bolts. I would also have a solid walking in steel door with no window on it. I would take vice grips and clamp one vice grip on each side rail above the wheels that slide the door up. I would also have motion lights on all four sides of the building if you are not able to have the outside security lights that stay lit all the time. I have two high pressure sodium lights that are 25 feet in the air. This lights up all four sides of my garage. The city only charges 6.00 per month per light. That covers the electricity and the changing of the bulbs and includes the pole.

Old 03-15-2004, 09:03 PM
Pro Rider
Default Thank You

why is quad theft so much of a problem in england?? ive heard of it happening here, but most of us live in such a small town that we'd know who took it, and they'd pay...dearly. you should get lojack for your quads....(dont know if they have it on your side of the lake)---anyway...just beef up security...dont let em get you out of the sport. tell you the truth im worried about mine gettin stolen, keep it unattended in my shed all day. but, because of my bad driving record, i cant get any kind of insurance on my four wheeler....does that make any sense at all????

Old 03-15-2004, 09:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Thank You

I got my 400ex and cr250 stolen the day after christmas and i live in the boonies where people usually dont lock their houses because there isn't any theft. I advertised my dirt bike for sale in the paper and a guy called and said he was gona come look at it, that night at 9:00 they took it out of my garage. The garage is attached to my house and the only door is the car door that opens up with a door opener. They pryed that door up half way and roolled out the quad and the bike (which I just got running real good for them to come look at or other wise it would have never started). We were home and awake the whole time and my dog was in the house. They also knew we were home because they went in all my buildings behind my house and they could see inside with the lights on us watching tv. They pushed the machines down the road a bit then started them up and rode off. My dad went outside to check if he put the garage door down before he went to bed and he saw it was pryed open and the machines gone. We listened outside and we could hear them so us and my neighboors tried to chase them down but they got away. Never saw them again.

BE CAREFULL WHEN YOU ADVERTISE!!!

Old 03-15-2004, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider
Default Thank You

just sleep in your garage man...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-16-2004, 12:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Thank You

Whenever I advertise I usually have the buyer meet me somewhere else. If I show the item at my home I make sure there is another adult around. I always take the item out of my garage and lock the garage up. That way they can't check out my tools and stuff. They also won't have a chance to look at the inside locks on my doors. I like to use the heavy duty slide bolt locks on the outside of the swing doors. The bolt slides into a receiver part that installs on the door jamb or whatever. (like any bolt slide) But it also has a receiver that installs inside the door jamb between the other two parts. So the bolt slides into two receivers installed in two different ways. I use bolts with rounded heads that don't have screw notches to install the lock. I install the bolts all the way through the door. Then I use the type of padlocks that can't be cut off easy. I never use the screws that come with the locks. I always use extra long screws or bolts for added strength. There are a lot of different ways to lock things. If someone wants to get in then they will. I just try to make it as difficult as possible so they are as noisey as possible.

I never let people around my dogs except family members. That way everyone is a stranger to the dogs. Whenever someone comes over, I put the dogs in another area. Some dogs need to be trained to alert to people coming in windows or standing outside. Dogs are used to people coming through the door. So some will not bark if someone looks in a window. My dogs will smell through the heating vents above the cellar. If I have someone working on the furnace or something. They go crazy because they can smell them. I have worked with them to alert when someone comes near the windows or out in the driveway or yard. I also have the motion lights. I've also taught my dogs to bark on command. First, I had worked with a verbal command and then changed it over to a twist of a collar. If a stranger is at the door. I can talk to them while holding my dogs collar. If I want the dog to bark and growl at the stranger. I twist the dogs collar.

Old 03-16-2004, 12:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Thank You

Also install exposed hinges with rounded bolt heads. Some people install a hinge with regular screws that can be taken out. They do the same thing with certain locks. The only tool a theif would need to get in is a screwdriver.

Old 03-16-2004, 01:39 PM
Range Rover
Default Thank You

The reason why quad thefts are so high in england is because of pikey's(travellers). They go out especially for quads so now days its impossible to have one without a scum bag pikey clapping his eyes on it.