Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rancher and Foreman Owners - Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 12:15 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rancher and Foreman Owners - Question

Greetings,
I am trying to decide between the rancher 4x4 and the foreman 4x4. Both would be the ES model 2004. I am using the quad for snow plowing with a 50 inch blade and hunting purpose, light trail riding. I know these are utility quads for the most part. I'm not worried about speed. I am leaning towards the foreman because of the bigger motor for plowing (I'm 250 pounds with all my stuff on), 2-4wd selection, and additional lighting (plowing after work at night is a requirement). I've never rode the foreman yet, but the rancher I rode seemed very nimble for a 4x4 quad. It also seemed very well made and perky for a 350. Both quads seem smaller that others in their class, which is good for storing them in the garage. The Rancher AT is in my range also. Does it have a low-high gear setting in automatic, or do you just use ESP mode in 1-2 gear? Thanks. Pete

Old 03-14-2004, 09:27 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Encorepete;
I have a 04 ForeMan 450 ES. I couldn't ask for a better ATV to do what I need it to do. I do some trail riding and a mudbogg every now and then. I bought my ForeMan for the strength it has, we pull alot of HEAVY bodied deer(175-200lbs.) out of the woods and up muddy hillsides also large cedar logs. The heaviest load so far was a hung up 02 Arctic Cat 500 4x4 with rider and a 185lb 8 pointer that was stuck on a sloppy hillside I hooked to his front put the ES in first and away we went UP the hill no problem I still give my friend hell about that. Honda claims they improved the limited slip 4wd in the 2004 models all I know is all four tires spin in the slopp or snow when I am playing with it while in 4wd mode so traction is not a problem I have yet to be EXTREMELY stuck. Top speed on mine is 48 mph and I can slide through corners with anybody in 2wd. First gear on a ForeMan is like a bulldozer, POWERFUL. I guess that's why they refer to it as "Tractor Low"
I have owned other ATV's but I will buy another ForeMan for sure!!!
Just My Two Cents
Mike

Old 03-15-2004, 11:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi encorepete, we have a fourtrax 350 es 4x4 we make maple syrup, we pull a 150 gallon tank on the trailer. We have had the tank right full with sap and have not yet had a time where the fourtrax could not pull it it'll. Just put it in to the power low gear. We also use it for hunting and haven't had any problems with pulling moose and deer out of the bush. hope this helps Steve.

Old 03-15-2004, 03:40 PM
Trailblazer

my stepfather has a '99 Foreman ES and the thing hauls, it has so much torque. and it handles pretty good for a four wheel drive, it also slides really good, and as far as speed it will keep up with any other four wheel drive quad.

Old 03-15-2004, 03:48 PM
Trailblazer

eventhough we just got our Foreman S a few months ago i can tell you this thing has all the low end power you will ever need in a 4WD! I love the fact that i can choose 2ED or 4WD by a flip of the switch and also choose what gear i want to be in at all times. If it were me i would get the Foreman without thinking twice, you will be very happy with it.

Old 03-17-2004, 11:26 AM
Trailblazer

I agree....the Foreman is a great work machine, and also fun on the trail. The selectable 2wd/4wd is a definitely plus in my opinion, and it's a real stump puller in low gear.

Old 03-17-2004, 04:25 PM
Pro Rider

I have a Rancher....and i love it....still, judging from your needs, the 450 foreman would be better suited for you.

Old 03-18-2004, 01:48 AM
Pro Rider

the 450 foreman may be the best utility quad on the planet.

Old 03-18-2004, 02:40 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: eiger2
the 450 foreman may be the best utility quad on the planet.
Wow, that makes me feel good about my last atv purchase. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-18-2004, 03:54 AM
Trailblazer

Coyotechaser: lets just say you might as well sell your pickup truck lol

Quick Reply: Rancher and Foreman Owners - Question