Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

250r or 450r?? which should I buy.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 02:35 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 250r or 450r?? which should I buy.

I came for advice on what bike and stuff, not you making rude comments because i'm a bigger guy.. have some decent respect u @$$'s..

What does this sound like?? good deal??

1986 trx250r

- stock jug that is fully drag ported (i know who ported it.. very nice, Craig Michaels)
- fully polished motor with cool head and custom made dome
- chromed swing arm, stock length
- +6 polished durablue heavy duty axle
- 3 pipes, lrd adjustable (polished), fmf fatty, and stock pipe.. all come with exaust too..
- two fulls sets of tires and rims (haulers and razors for sand, holeshots and dirt tires for fronts)
- teather kill switch
- new plastics (race cut)
- new handlebars
- new bearings etc..

I know the owner of this bike, he hasn't rode it since the year before last.. and that was only once to sandlake, he doesn't have time for it but this guy is a PERFECTIONIST!!! he takes very good care of this bike, he has rode it hard by drag racing a little bit but every thing on the bike is great.. he currently has been running 110 octane race gas.. but my neighbor (same motor in his ATC) told me to buy the stock head gasket and that will lower my compression to be able to mix 92 pump gas with octane booster. It currently has a cr250 head gasket (that is split apart so they only use a thin metal peice.) This bike is immaculate and I don't want to pass it up.. but my question is..

He won't take no less than $5,000.. is it worth it?? I'm going tommorrow with 5k cash.

Old 03-19-2004, 10:10 AM
Pro Rider

If he doesn't have some nice suspencion on it, then no- it's not worth 5,000. Just my opinion. If I were you, I'd buy one for around 2,800 and keep an eye on ebay. To pull power from a 250r is very cheap. Spend most of your money on suspension mods and new plastic . With just $4,000 dollars, you could build a very nice R right now.
JP

Old 03-20-2004, 02:56 AM
Pro Rider

I just got back today from buying a quad, I am the proud new owner of a 1986 Trx250r. This bike is immaculate!! I knew who owned it and how it's been ridden (he hasn't rode it at ALL this season, and only once last season.)

Here's whats been done/on it.

- Fully drag ported motor (stock cylinder bored .080 over)
- cool head with custom dome
- Fmf gold series fatty pipe/ silencer
- Fmf gold series pipe (signature series??)
- paul turner adjustable pipe
- stock pipe w/ gaurd
- +6 durablue axle
- chromed stock swingarm
- chromed stock front arms
- aftermarket polished radiator shrouds
- race cut stock plastics
- polished jug and side cases
- 39mm keinen carburator
- after market handlebars (look like pro tapers)
- teather kill switch
- Nerf bars
- BRAND new 22x11x10 paddle Skat-trak extremes (never touched sand yet)
- new douglas blue label rims for above tires
- razor front tires
- new douglas blue label rims for above tires
- stock tires front/rear with stock rims front/rear in almost new shape
- new hole shot rear tires
- new douglas rims for above tires
- front dirt tires (fast trekker?)
- dico rims for above tires
- aftermarket front bumper
- extra stock parts for bike (brake light, dust covers, etc etc)
- braided coolant lines

I know who owned this bike and he kept it in VERY good condition, the new topend w/ portjob only has 5-6 rides on it. He has replaced EVERY bearing in the bike when he tore it apart. He also told me how to maintain it and keep it clean, he gave me polish to keep it looking nice. I received a bag of jets and pipe springs, a extra sprocket, and a box of stuff.. This bike is truly very nice. It's more than I expected and wow.. it's the best thing He ran 50/50 92 octane with race gas.. but I am going to put a stock head gasket back on and run 92 octane with octane booster like my neighbor does. The plastics have no cracks in them and the seat is the original with no tears or cracks in it. The stickers are a little torn but its ok. Light works perfect, not sure about brake light. He even threw in some brackets for flat track racing to lower the bike. I'm so excited, I bought it for 5k cash. I'm only 15 and this is my first quad. I've ridden 3-wheelers/dirtbikes/sandrails all my life though.. Did I get a good deal?? Even if people don't think so I know I did..

Old 03-21-2004, 09:18 AM
Pro Rider

it depends what u are going to do with the quad? if u are dragging it, i guess it's ok, but if u want to motocross it, i think u made a mistake. u would now need a new swingarm, and a-arms, and suspension. i sold an 88250r about 2 years ago for 5K and it had everything for mx. the only downfall was it was a stock frame and only works susp. but it was clean and tight with 310 engine.

Old 03-21-2004, 09:26 AM
Pro Rider

if anyone is looking for race quads, check out atvscene.com