Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

recon how good is it.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 10:28 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default recon how good is it.

Guys how good is a recon. I need a small quad for my 13 year old daughter she is real small for 13 like 4'10" most likely won't get over 5'0" ever. She has rode for 2 1/2 years on a breeze and a LT80, is becoming a real good rider but is screaming for more power to make it up the steeper trails and ruffer terrain. She does not want to shift with her foot but I think could handle the electric shift model. How reliable are they and will this little quad make it up some pretty knarly terrain. ( I will put better tires on it) I like the size and fact that it only weighs a touch over 400 pounds. What do you guys think, just as a side note I make her always wear full gear helmet, gloves, chest, protector, and boots. Any imput or suggestions will she be screaming for more power next year or will this little quad do the job. Thanks I can usually count on the people here to help me out. Gotten lots of good advice here.

Old 04-22-2004, 10:42 AM
Range Rover

I think that would be a very nice quad for her. My wife started on a recon es and loved it.We had no problems with the quad. Some people states that the es option is prone to problems. But we had none also had a es rancher no problems.

Old 04-22-2004, 10:47 AM
TIC
Pro Rider

My wife and i got into atv,s a little late, im 34 she is now 30. I got a rubicon and she got a recon es
Her brother had a recon and rode even at the dunes with in near oklahoma.
We live along the river in Ks. we have trails hill climbs and even have to go over a log or two.
It is very very low geared when in first! you will not have a power problem climbing hills and even in mud it will keep them rear tires turning! It will not run out of power in low gear.

Now I did order new rims and tires from rocky mountain atv. you will find that finding rear tires for the recon is a bit of a hassle. but if you will go up on inch front and rear with new rims you can order any tire combo you want. I went with dirt devils and she has had a ball in the mud. they do great. However a long stretch of mud like a mile long road we encounterd once while camping after a rain was a problem, the front tires would ball up.

Then new tire and rim combo was not really needed but it did make it look larger and did give it more ground clearance. My wife is 5'4" and around 135 so your daughter would be fine.

Now To be honest the angle sensor in the ES was a problem once, but it was fixed and honda did help us even after the basic warrenty was up. but we have not had a problem since, and we have had them since may of 2002

Oh and the recon top speed OF OURS AND OURS ONLY has been running around 46 to 48 mph It Can and does keep up with my rubicon when we get down on them,

Other readers, Please note that i am not trying to get in a top speed war about recons and rubicons. Im only stating what mine do. Im lucky to get 48 out of my rubicon but what the hell I weigh "around" 335lbs

Old 04-22-2004, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider

The recon sounds like it would be a great ATV for your daughter. They are a nice little bike that is very light and agile, which makes it pretty fun on the trails. It should last her a couple years and they are a quick bike too, mine tops at 80km/h (on GPS). I would guess I have somewheres around 7500km's on my 01 recon and the majority of those miles have been hard riding and the only problems I have had is the brakes and clutch. You'll be surprised how well the recon will go through bad terrain and with the right rider and tires they are very capable, as long as you dont bottom out.

Old 04-22-2004, 12:47 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the replies guys it sounds like I was right on this one. I was planning on putting bearclaws on it at least on the back not sure on the fronts. I was just concerned about guys who really ride them if they did well in steep and ruff. I have read some magazine reviews and they say good thing s for the most part about them. But I have learned that the magazines sometimes lie. I have rode things they did like and hated them. We had a Rally it went pretty good but my daughter would get it up in the air just a foot or two coming out of a creek crossing or something and the thing was just scary in the air landed bad and always looked like it was going tip as it landed. The rally also really pushed in corners at spped too so I was afraid she was going to get hurt on it so I sold it. It was taller and felt more tippy than I think the recon will. I haven't rode a recon yet just sat on one at the dealer might try and ride one tonight after work.

Old 04-22-2004, 12:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

DirtVH- You might find yourself riding the Recon from time to time. Sometimes it nice to ride a 400lb agile machine when you're used to riding a 600lb machine.

The Recon should be good for her as long as you think she's ready for a 229cc quad. I would suggest putting a Maire skid on it's belly and then it'll go almost anywhere. I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to get rid of the stock tires. The stock tires do very well. I would at least wear them down before you are tempted to switch them. You might end up buying the stock tires for a replacement.

The Recon is easy to service. Just change the oil and check the air filter. I like the footshift models over a ES. It's a matter of preference. The top speed of my Recon was 47 mph. I had installed a 8 function bike speedo on it.

I don't know if she'll be screaming for more power next year. Maybe 2 or 3 years. Maybe you should get her a 250ex. (Recon without racks)

Old 04-22-2004, 01:13 PM
Pro Rider

I thought about the smaller sport quads but she doesn't like shifting with her foot. Makes her nervious having to move her foot when she is hill climbing. I don't know if that seems wierd but that is what she said, she also had trouble with hitting the right gear that way. The up or down button that she doesn't have to let go of the handle bars or move her feet doesn't seem to bother her. Maybe I should push the issue on the shift but she does real well right now and I don't want to make her uncomfortable. Also my wife might ride this machine sometimes and she can't work a foot shift anymore because a old injury limits her ability to move her ankle much. I liked the idea of the little sports like the 250 Ex or the Suzuki Z250 but the foot shift thing ended that.

Old 04-22-2004, 01:47 PM
Pro Rider

I love the bearclaws on the rear of my recon, they are much better in the mud then the stockers but also give a nice sporty ride and break loose really easy. As for the recon and climbing I haven't had any problems with climbing hills except for really big ones in sand pits where the recon just doesn't have the power. Jumping the recon is pretty easy and it does alright in the air but is easily put at the suspensions limits. If you want some pictures I can email some to you.

Old 04-22-2004, 02:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I put a picture of my Recon on top of a steep hill climb for my author icon. This hill has a lot of loose rocks and a large rock ledge step at the top. (I know it's hard to see.) I would just pick my gear and go.

Old 04-22-2004, 03:08 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How heavy is she? My son is 5'2" and just tall enough for the Recon, but he is a skinny kid, and it will be several years before he has the WEIGHT to handle the machine.

Quick Reply: recon how good is it.