Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

TOE IN OR TOE OUT

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2000, 02:37 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just put a new Laeger stering stem on my 400 last night and was wondering what the tires need to be set at? I have the bars perfectly straight and the left tire looks like it is turned out, the right tire looks as if it is turned in. What is the correct way these tires are supposed to be?

Old 07-25-2000, 02:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I put my new a-arms on my 250r I had my buddy set the toe in toe out.He set it 3/4 of an inch in.My bike handles great to.

Old 07-25-2000, 02:55 PM
Pro Rider

The fronts of your tires should be a little bit wider than the rear of the tires. They should both be facing slightly out. Also, the tops of the tires should should be narrower than the bottom(wider on the bottom).
ERIC

Old 07-25-2000, 02:57 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much?

Old 07-25-2000, 03:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

On a 2-wheel drive quad you want the wheels toed in about 1/2 to 1 in so that the quad will corner better. There are many ways to do it; tape measure, straight edge from the rear wheels, or line of site about 15 feet infront of the quad. For TT and MX you want the top of the wheel slanted in for corning. For Hare scrambles the riders will either have them vertical or slanted.

Old 07-25-2000, 10:08 PM
Range Rover

I found it to be a real pain when trying to measure the front and rear of the front tires...never could get the same measurement twice...so I used a string/spring method recommended by my Honda mechanic. All you do is tie a spring on one end of a string, and make a loop on the other end, and then circle the quad hooking the two together and the center of the rear end--make sure the string is fairly tight and perpendicular to the axle nut on the fronts, and the same height all the way around. Now that you have the string in place, you can adjust the tie rods and measure the spot where the string is touching the outside of the tire. To set the toe in you make sure there's a gap between the string and the front of the front tire, and to toe out make sure there's a gap between the string and tire at the rear of the front tire. I found this is the best way to get the toe in/out the same on both sides, and believe you get a more accurate overall measurement when setting the toe--just my opinion though...

I asked the same question a while ago about setting the toe, however, and got quite a few different opinions on whether or not my 400EX should be toe in or out. Basically from what I was told and a little experience from trying a few settings, 1/8 or more of an inch toe in will make the quad corner and turn better, but feel less stable at higher speeds. Toe out will make it handle better at faster speeds, but doesn't turn as quickly. Right now I'm running 3/16" toe out, and although it seems to handle better when riding fast, I don't like the effort it takes when taking quick corners...feels as though the front end is pushing out of the turn. I'll probably end up settling on 1/8" toe in for better handling, and sacrifice the high-end handling.

Old 07-26-2000, 12:18 AM
Range Rover

Ditto nvr2l8.I am curently set at 3/16 toe in for woods and dunes.Little heavy steering feel in tight woods but doesnt feel like it wants to roll under in corners,little shaky at high speeds in dunes but overall a good compromise.

Old 11-25-2001, 07:49 PM
Trailblazer

string and spring what great ideal thanks.

Old 11-25-2001, 07:52 PM
Trailblazer

another question say i try the strng and one wheel needs to come in little. do i turn both tie rods or just the one thats off, or do you turn each side 50/50. thank