Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Engine Rebuild DAY 1

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 11:08 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Rebuild DAY 1

Hey !!

I started rebuilding my engine (- Foreman -) !!
Well, not done much, but the engine is out, and Front Crankcase is out . .

That damned gasket is really tuff to scrub off . . ..

Anyways, here is another question for the pros !!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I have Metal dust in the bottom of the front crankcase..
The gears of the camchain are imprinted with the chain signature, I mean I can see the pattern that the chain gave to the gears..
The bottom tensioner of the chain is slack, I can move it with no efforts, and I don't see any reference about that in the manual . .
But the chain is stiff . . .
The one-way clutch seem to work ok . . but I will remove it and check everypart ..
But I think it became too hot, and don't know if it's normal, but there is a layer of burned oil on the clutch! ..

Oh, I had sand in the crankcase also, the sand entered by the ES Shifter motor .... !!!!!!!! ..
DAMN . .

Do you have any tricks to remove old gasket from the Casing, it's take so f*cking too much time to remove . ..

Old 04-30-2004, 05:21 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try Loctite 790 Chisel Gasket Remover lifts baked on gaskets, gasket cements, formed in place gaskets, carbon deposits, dried oil, grease and paint from any type of metal in minutes.

Okie

Old 04-30-2004, 07:14 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel your pain. Those green Honda gaskets can be a BEAR. When I do a TRX450 I figure about an hour just for surface prep. I tried permatex gasket remover several years back (Honda gaskets were black at that time, I think the green ones are worse), and it did absolutely nothing but make a toxic mess. Maybe the stuff Okie uses works better. I use a comination of safety razers, my gasket scraper and carb cleaner.