Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

dangers of ATVing

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 07:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dangers of ATVing

rite now on new channel 4 dan rather's talkin about dangers of atv riding, cant wait to see how much bad publicity us ATVers will get fom this.

Old 05-13-2004, 08:01 PM
Pro Rider

huh, thought it would be longer, they basically are blamming manufacturers for selling atvs to when kids under 16 are going to be ridding them. also they are saying how all states should have laws that prohibit kids from riding full size atv's. tomoro night they are goin undercover to see what the dealer does about knowingly selling full size quads for a young kids use.

i think it should be up to the parents to decide wether or not thier child should be able to ride a certain atv or not, they would know the best dont you think? its kinda common sense too, 500lb utility with 30hp + 100lb 10 year old = bad news

Old 05-13-2004, 08:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

It's the parents decision to let there kids ride the quad. More children are killed each year by bicycles than quads. instead of punishing everyone that rides we should punish the parents that let there 10 yr olds ride big cc quads.

Old 05-13-2004, 08:30 PM
Trailblazer

Atv's don't kill people, people kill people.

Old 05-13-2004, 09:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I missed that, I will try to catch it tomorrow and see what happens when the go undercover.

Old 05-13-2004, 09:59 PM
The Facility

mbish23,

I am not sure where you got that information, but it is totally false. Maybe you just misunderstood it.

The fact is.......that more kids are INJURED on bicycles every year than quads.....Not killed.

Let the parents decide? That's the way things are now. There is no federal law prohibiting ATVs from being ridden by those under 16...nor can it be. The dealer not being being able to sell to those under 16 is not a law either. Only a guideline posed by the OEMs and the CPSC and the penalties of not following it are fines and after 2 offenses, the dealer's franchise is pulled.[Honda terms, other OEMs differ in how severe the dealer is "punished".

Only the individual states can create laws making it ILLEGAL for certain age riders to be riding certain quads....and the wheels of our state governaments are already in motion.....Along with Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, ArcticCat, Polaris, Bombardier sponsoring the bills in each state that has had it proposed.

Another thing I would like for everyone to know who doesn't already...is that the OEMs and not the state or it's people brought up this matter in West Virginia.

I have seen too many posts on here blaming special interests groups for this when they weren't even the people who sponsored the bill!!!!

Old 05-13-2004, 10:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

sorry bout that when i said more people were killed i meant injured. i read this thing about it like 2 weeks ago talking about quads and it was sayin how more people were injured. i just forgot that it was injured not killed

Old 05-13-2004, 11:04 PM
Pro Rider

i've been wishing that ATVs would get more publicity, like maybe make it onto ESPN with shows like Bluetorch, and 54321. instead we're gettin ozzy osbourne crashing and his kids and the reporter saying that quads can do over 150mph and are extremely dangerous, then this news thing. at least the sport is growing in spite of these things.

Old 05-13-2004, 11:32 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: CroBiker
i've been wishing that ATVs would get more publicity, like maybe make it onto ESPN with shows like Bluetorch, and 54321. instead we're gettin ozzy osbourne crashing and his kids and the reporter saying that quads can do over 150mph and are extremely dangerous, then this news thing. at least the sport is growing in spite of these things.
150! wow, i wonder what kinda quad he's got.

Old 05-14-2004, 12:35 AM
The Facility

Ozzy's quads really do 150mph when he's on the pipe....errrr....I mean when his quad gets on the pipe

Quick Reply: dangers of ATVing