Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

SYNTHETIC OIL?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 10:50 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SYNTHETIC OIL?

Has any one upgraded the oil in their Rubicon to synthetic oil ? Or should i just stick to the suggested oil?

Old 05-14-2004, 12:33 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SYNTHETIC OIL?

I know some people use Amsoil. Just be sure to use the right kind of oil. Been told to stay away from anything with friction modifyers.

Old 05-14-2004, 01:37 PM
Trailblazer
Default SYNTHETIC OIL?

Yes, as long as you are well beyond the break in period on the bike you can run a Wet Clutch safe synthetic. Amsoil makes an outstanding synthetic 0W-40 that specifically made for newer 4-stroke motors. It will reduce your temp, power gains across the whole range, and shift much smoother. They claim you can also run it in your motor twice as long as normal oil if you motor is equipped with a filter. Just stay away from the automotive type with the anti-friction additives; it will fry your clutch.

P.S. No I don't work for Amsoil, I just love their product.

Old 05-14-2004, 01:40 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default SYNTHETIC OIL?

Originally posted by: Raptorlegs
I know some people use Amsoil. Just be sure to use the right kind of oil. Been told to stay away from anything with friction modifyers.
I second that entire post!!!! Amsoil has motorcycle synthetic that works.....I know people who have used "regular" synthetic and within one day we were adjusting the clutches about every hour! switched them back and they went back to normal wear.

Old 05-14-2004, 02:08 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Default SYNTHETIC OIL?

Out of curiosity, what does the owners manual suggest for the Rubicon? GN4? HP4? or either one???

The reason I ask, is that HP4 is a synth/petro blend, where GN4 is all petro. Honda never recommends HP4 for any of its bikes that have centrifugal clutches, like its autoclutch bikes. The reason being, that synth can make the clutch slip.

Best article about oil that I have seen, in case you haven't seen it. From Motocross Action-
http://www.thumperfaq.com/oil.htm

Old 05-14-2004, 03:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default SYNTHETIC OIL?

Thanks guys for all the info.

Old 05-14-2004, 04:15 PM
Pro Rider
Default SYNTHETIC OIL?

HP4 is 6.00 at my dealer. Too much. I'm using Mobil one MX4T,full synthetic......

Trending Topics

Old 05-14-2004, 08:36 PM
Pro Rider
Default SYNTHETIC OIL?

Reconranger, maybe you haven't heard about the HP4 debacle. There used to be one HP4 with Moly. About a year ago, Honda started offering two types of HP4, one with Moly, and one without. According to Honda, the HP4 without Moly is acceptable in any machine they make...period. The Moly stuff is a no no for machines with fiber clutch plates of any kind (don't know what it's good for, maybe your lawnmower). Myself, I just stick to good old GN4 in my bikes, and change plenty often. Then I know I'm safe.

Old 05-14-2004, 09:23 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Default SYNTHETIC OIL?

dzzy- Where you been??? What debacle??? HP4M (JASO MB, with moly) is for use in the CRF450/250 dirt bikes and TRX450R quad ENGINES only (not any transmission). These have a "split case" where the transmission (wet clutch) is seperate from the engine. You run the really slick stuff WITH moly in the engine, and a JASO MA oil in the trans. This is the way engines should be designed!!! My compliments to Honda!

Read the article!
http://www.thumperfaq.com/oil.htm

Old 05-15-2004, 08:37 AM
Pro Rider
Default SYNTHETIC OIL?

Yes Reconranger, forgot about that app for HP4M. It is a good idea. I admit I work primarily on streetbikes this time of year. The debacle is that Honda sold us HP4M (when there was ony one HP4) for several years before telling us (or finding out) it was bad for fiber clutch plates, then waited several years before changing it. Before the CRF type engines, there was basically no use for HP4M except scooters and lawnmowers.

Quick Reply: SYNTHETIC OIL?