Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Pro Design Cool Head Dome Decisions 4 a 250R

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 12:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pro Design Cool Head Dome Decisions???Jetting??

I just went out and dropped some cash on a pro design cool head and was wondering how to go about tuning the bike and which dome to use on a stock motor. Im not looking to get a huge increase (just as much as mechanicly possible =) cause i understand it takes more then bolt-ons to get a significant increase. Heres what i have done so far, I have a paul turner pipe, k&n filter, delta v-force reeds, and ive messed with the jetting a bit. I seemed to have a pretty good combo running right now and am not fouling too many plugs, but now that im introducing the new head and changing compression with this dial-a-dome set up i was wondering what dome would get the most out of my set-up. I bought a 22cc dome with the head thinking i would start out with the mildest dome as to not mess with things too much cause im riding this weekend and dont want to take the chance of my bike running bad. I havent installed the head yet or even opened the dome packaging cause i wanted to bounce this off a few people first and see if anyone has gone down this road before. Is the 22cc dome good to start out with or can i go with a smaller one on a non-ported motor. Also about what size jet(s) should i run? I think stock was a *158 main and with the reeds and pipe i moved up to a *160 main jet and i switch around there depending where im riding. I thank all of you in advance who respond to this post.

Old 05-20-2004, 06:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pro Design Cool Head Dome Decisions 4 a 250R

I can't speak for the Pro Design cool head and their domes but you might want to invest in a compression guage and take a reading first. Stock compression on an R should be around 160 +/-. Once you start changing domes (which changes your compression) you have to worry about detonation. The higher the compression the higher the octane fuel you need to run or you will melt your motor. Are you running an airbox lid, if you are, get rid of it, you'll see a good performance boost with the additional air flow. Change your main jet at least 2 jet sizes though and most importantly, do some plug chops and take a reading on your plug. Get the bike good and warmed up and find an area you can go full throttle for at least 5-10 seconds, kill the motor and at the same time pull in your clutch and coast to a stop, pull the plug and see what the plug looks like. Should be a mocha brown color.

Good luck!!