Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rubicon ECM Confused

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 12:22 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubicon ECM Confused

No, this is not the typical flashing LCD before we go there! After we put the Warn 424 on (which I still have not been able to fix), I gave old red a good workout for the first time yesterday. In regular D1, the engine is wrapping out WAY too much. It sounds like it's going to blow at about 40mph. I put it in D2 just to see if there was a difference. There was: about 45mph and then the same effect. This is still unacceptable. The only way I can reach my previously achieved top speed around 55mph is by using ESP. What the heck is going on? I'm starting to wonder if the positive effects of the 424 really do outweigh the negatives.

Old 06-02-2004, 01:26 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah, another trouble free automatic!

Old 06-02-2004, 01:45 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks. That response really helped me out a lot.

Old 06-02-2004, 02:34 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll get used to reconranger's response like that, he is the most "anti-automatic" in the world. he likes everything to be manual out of fear it might have problem, like a manual shift never fails. I can't believe he owns anything that is even equipped with an electric starter, but there is always the "rope" for the backup.

Old 06-02-2004, 10:11 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just putting out the good old "buyer beware" for those prospective buyers out there! There has been such a flood of these "electronic glitch" posts, that even you supporters can't ignore it. People come here to get honest no BS data about a bikes reliability, and you guys want to gloss it over, because you are just to embarassed to say the truth.

You have a guy who washes the bike, and it won't run anymore. Now that's reliability for you! Mechanically, this seems to be a good/inovative transmission design. To bad Honda messed up the electronics.

Old 06-02-2004, 01:38 PM
Pro Rider

Washes the bike and it won't run anymore? That sounds like a mechanical problem with the engine or intake, not electronics or tranny. ANYWAY, hey I want some help with my machine here, not an auto-manual debate. Even though I know once a debate gets started it can't be stopped, but if you're thinking about posting something about automatics vs. manuals, I'm asking you to please refrain.

Old 06-02-2004, 08:02 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might want to try and reset the ECM, here are the instructions:

Initial Setting Procedure

Note:
· After replacement of any of the following parts, perform the initial setting procedure below.
- ECM
- Throttle sensor*
- Angle sensor
*Also, perform the initial setting procedure if the throttle cable is disconnected (i.e., car-buretor removal/installation, cable replacement etc.).
· The gear position blinks in Indicator Mode 2 when the initial setting was not made properly. Repeat the procedure from step 2.

1. Start the engine and let it idle about one minute with the sub-transmission in neutral. Stop the engine.
2. Make sure the gearshift lever is in the neutral position (be sure the neutral indicator comes on) and turn the ignition switch off.
3. Turn the ignition switch ON while pushing the UP and DOWN shift switches (ESP shift switches) simultaneously.
4. Release both the UP and DOWN shift switches immediately, then push and release the shift switches in the order of UP, DOWN, and UP. Do not hold the switches in).
5. A constant “ - - “ indication stays ON on the gear selector indicator. (If the gear position indicator shows a continuous “N”, repeat the procedure from step 2.)
6. Move the throttle lever to the fully closed position, then to the fully open position, and then move it to the fully closed position again immediately (within 10 seconds) after “ - - “ comes ON on the gear position indicator.
7. Check the control motor operation sound (the control motor should function at this time to adjust the angle sensor).
8. When the initial setting procedure is complete, the indication on the gear selector indicator changes from the continuous lighting of “ - - “ to the continuous lighting of “N”.

Hope this helps, and sorry for the earlier posts.

Specta

Old 06-03-2004, 02:40 AM
Pro Rider

That's quite alright about the earlier posts. I did get kind of defensive myself on the automatics thing and you're the only one to offer any real help so thanks a lot!

Old 06-03-2004, 01:00 PM
Range Rover

Just curious , is there any ECM procedure like this one for the 1998 Foreman?!?

Like for resting the speedo or anything !? ..

I got my foreman used and the Speedo has been reset to Zero ...

Old 06-03-2004, 03:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

98 forman doesnt have self diognoses, so no.

Quick Reply: Rubicon ECM Confused