Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

CPI inframe drag pipe for trx250r?!??!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004 | 01:32 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default CPI inframe drag pipe for trx250r?!??!

Hey, I found this on ebay and I have never seen a CPI pipe for a trx250r and wondering how these pipes perform, are they just all top end or what?? They look BADASS!! and would love to get one but can't find them ANY Where.. please help me..

picture1

picture2

Old 06-02-2004 | 02:13 AM
Trailblazer

Can't help you with the CPI pipe, but I have an FTZ super fat rev in frame and it's killer. Similar looking with that large body, mines a ported 270 stock cylinder. It has power every where, but tonnes on top. Blows away my 450r.

All I can say is pipes are to 2 strokes as cams are to 4 strokes. You never know what your set-up will like until you try it. Also swap pipes to set-up for the type of riding you're going to be doing.

If it's a good price try it!

Old 06-02-2004 | 02:35 AM
Pro Rider

I guy I rode with recently got a cpi in frame drag pipe for his R and he sais it had a lot less top end power than the esr he did have on. this was on a esr330.

Old 06-02-2004 | 07:21 PM
|
Pro Rider

Well I do a lot of trail riding and some tree shots, so i am looking for a good ALL around power, i want something that will pull from bottom straight to the top.. Right now my bike is a freshly sleeved 250r (stock bore) with weisco piston. It was previously owned by my neighbors friend who had it full drag ported by Craig Michaels, boysen rad valve, and 39mm keihen carburator. It was geared 14/36 for a 140lb rider but i am twice that and re-geared it to 12/38 which is much better. The bike is great but i dont feel the power hit till about half throttle.

I am really looking for a way to get this bike to open up from bottom all the way up to the top, but not sure how to go about this.. I put a spacer plate in the rad valve (i heard it was needed for a boysen rad valve and 38/39mm carb??) I am not sure what difference it will make. here are some pictures of my bike as I put it together.

picture 1 of my bike

left side of my bike showing cylinder/rad pacer

Showing new sleeve/piston, and also studs.

Just wondering if it looks like this sleeve is TOO thick?? I had it all done by Northwest Sleeve.

Old 06-02-2004 | 09:55 PM
Pro Rider

Smoked an easy way to get more power everywhere in the rpms is to take the honda head gasket and take it apart. You will have 3 pieces. Two thin and one thick. Take ONE of the thin pieces and put it on your bike. More compression and you will notice a BIG diffrence. Sence your bike has a 39MM carb it wont have alot of bottom end because its really a little bit big for the stock 250 cylinder. Also your sleeve does look REALLY thick? Mabey its a sleeve they would use for a 295, but not punched out yet.

Old 06-02-2004 | 10:23 PM
|
Pro Rider

drag racer, I did have a split CR metal gasket. My compression was about 220+ and i had to run 50/50 and didn't want that. Right now i run 92 with 108 octane booster and 40:1, one jet rich so i am safe. I went back to the stock head gasket, i have a shaved head, and I believe that NW Sleeve shaved a thousand or so off of my jug to clean it up or something?! so i dont know my compression right now but hopefully it isnt TOO high. I'm just wondering like If I were to find another 86' jug who would be the BEST person to go to and which port job to get for a low-high motor, I was thinking an mx port was my best bet, but should i go to a 37 carb? Thanks a lot.

Old 06-03-2004 | 02:07 AM
Pro Rider

Stay with atleast a 38mm carb. The only person that I would recommend for trail riding porting would be LRD. I can't speak for many other MX engine builders. LRD was supposed to port the cylinder for duning, but it was pretty bad. A+ for trail riding tho!! But my 250 was smoking it.

Just wondering, why dont you get an aftermarket head?

Old 06-03-2004 | 02:10 AM
Pro Rider

I just looked at your pictures and you have a coolhead on it. Why are you using metal gaskets? Whats up, are you switching back to a stock head?

Old 06-03-2004 | 02:28 AM
|
Pro Rider

Well yes i do have a cool head with a custom shaped dome by Craig michaels, each one is different as with the porting depending on your motor. I used to run a CR 250 headgasket which was gasket that was like cardboard outers with a metal gasket on the inside, if you split them up you had 3 gaskets and the middle one was a THIN metal gasket, you could reuse this gasket as many times as it stayed straight and not broken, just clean it and spray it with spray paint, let dry.. then install on your motor! This bumped my compression WAY up there with a shaved head, so I wanted to keep it reliable and use 92 octane gas with 108 octane booster so I added a stock trx250r head gasket which is rubber.

Old 06-03-2004 | 02:46 AM
Pro Rider

Ok I understand. Why dont you get a custom cut dome that would take the place of what now is the stock head?

And who is Craig Michaels?

Quick Reply: CPI inframe drag pipe for trx250r?!??!