Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

fuel on/off valve

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 11:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel on/off valve

I am new to ATVs and have been turning off the fuel valve and letting the carburetor run dry. If there isn't any gas in the carburetor it can't get gummed up. One of the guys at work said don't do this since this leads to deposits in the carburetor which gum everything up. So I need some advise. Should I be doing this or not? I generally run the engine once a week. Should I just turn the key off and then the fuel valve off? What do you guys do?

45acp [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-10-2004, 12:28 AM
Trailblazer

The best thing to do is to add some fuel stabalizer to your fuel if you don't ride that often. Don't run the float bowl dry the risidual fuel that's left in the bowl will leave deposits as it evaporates.

Old 06-10-2004, 02:10 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Modern fuel additives will leave scum if the carb is run dry. Turn the valve off, after the engine has COOLED.

Old 06-10-2004, 11:39 AM
Trailblazer

Can you guys tell me the reason to turn the fuel to off instead of just leaving it on? Just like to know why I do things as it will help me to remember to do them. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-10-2004, 11:42 AM
Pirate Biker
Limping Rider!
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

If you don't turn it off, the fuel will drip out the carb overflow tube.

Old 06-10-2004, 04:11 PM
Elite Pro Rider

if everything is working properly, then it wont matter if you turn it off or not. But , if the needle and seat start to leak, the fuel will either flow out the tube, at the bottom of the carb, and be a fire hazzard. Or it will flow thru the carb, into the intake valve and wash the oil from your cylinder, and get into the sump...and that aint good. Any time you haul a quad, turn it to off, or the constant jiggling, on the trailer will move the float, which will move the needle off the seat, which will cause gas to flow somewhere.
Ive been turning the valve to off, and letting it run til it dies, for 20 plus years now, and never had a problem.
if you know, that you wont be using up the whole tank of gas, in 2 months or less, put stablizer in the gas, while its still fresh, and that will keep the carb from gumming up.

Old 06-12-2004, 10:31 AM
Trailblazer

I did not turn the fuel vavle off once and later had a puddle of fuel under my quad. The fuel line had a leak in it. I repaired this problem, but I always turn the valve off when the bike will sit up for more than a few hours. (Investigate any smell of fuel also). As for running the carb dry. My dealer recommeded that I do this if the bike will sit up for a while. I have been doing so and have not had a problem. The most my quad ever sits idle is maybe 2 weeks when I am at work. When I am home I run it once or twice a week at least, and often every day for 2 weeks. So the fuel in the tank doesn't sit in there very long. I also run it till it is almost empty before filling it up. I carry fresh fuel in a fuel can. After the ride I top off the tank and put the rest in my truck. Next time I start out with fresh fuel again. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-12-2004, 11:11 AM
Pro Rider

What Hondabuster said ...