Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rubicon for towing...a good choice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 02:41 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubicon for towing...a good choice?

Hi all,

I am new to this forum, but have been atving for a while. I currently own a Kawa 400 4x4 (2001) and am doing research for another quad. My question is, how would the rubicon hold up towing a loaded trailer (450 to 800lbs) and speeds of 5 - 10 MPH for long periods of time? Say 3 to 4 hours duration. (Worried about the durability of the Hondamatic tranny)

Should I be looking at another quad?

Cheers

Old 06-21-2004, 03:32 PM
Pro Rider

i have an 04 rubicon and i beleave it would do a great job of towing.
but i would use the manual shift mode for towing.
the tranny is almost like a car trans so i beleave it will do just fine.

Old 06-21-2004, 04:46 PM
Pro Rider

Why are you worried about the tranny? Over 5,500 miles of relentless abuse and there's no signs of tranny problems what so ever. You're pulling job sounds ideal for the Rubi. Drop her in low and take off!

Old 06-21-2004, 04:52 PM
Pro Rider

I think a better question would be: Would a belt driven machine hold up to towing for long durations of time? I wouldn't worry about the Hondamatic tranny. Our Rubicon has 1865 miles on it and I do a lot of pulling with it, mostly a trailer behind but also cut firewood with it and pull a drag in the garden. We also plow snow with it. ESP mode works well for towing because you can keep the rpms up a little if you need to. rooster

Old 06-21-2004, 07:16 PM
Trailblazer

Rooster,
My 400 is a belt drive quad, which is why I am looking for an alternative. My wife loves the auto and would like for our next bike to be an auto, I would like to give up the belt, but I know nothing of the rubicon, (there are few in this area, most bikes are of the Kawasaki or Polaris brand) or of its durability under continuous towing over what would be rough ground (at times).

Now don’t get me wrong, during the last 3 years the Kawasaki as been faultless, outside of the belt and lack of true engine braking. A feature I think you need with 800 plus pounds on a trailer coming down a hill!

Cheers

Old 06-22-2004, 10:09 AM
Trailblazer

Hi,

So what would be the maximum that you would tow with the rubicon, keeping in mind mixed terrain and that it would be for extend periods (3 - 4 hrs)?

Does the rubicon Hondamatic get hot and overheat under stress?

Cheers

Old 06-24-2004, 02:28 PM
Trailblazer

So folks, what is the maximum that you would tow with the rubicon? Does the transmission get hot under load?

Cheers

Trending Topics

Old 06-24-2004, 03:48 PM
Pro Rider

You can pull well over 800 lbs. my friend. Trust me. The Hondamatic tranny is the best in the business, it won't get overheated or wear out under stress of towing or anything else for that matter. The engine braking in any of the lower ESP gears or low range in D2 will be SUPERB for towing. If I could have any quad at all strictly for a workhorse, it would be this machine. You won't be sorry if you get one of these machines.

Old 06-24-2004, 03:56 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the help...one more question, does anyone know the tongue load for the rubicon?

Cheers

Old 06-25-2004, 05:06 AM
Pro Rider

Bur252, the Rubicon has excellent engine braking at any speed. The rated tow limit and tongue weights are just guidelines, which reflect mostly on what the lawyers would let Honda rate it at. You can only tow until the tires spin out. As far as tongue weight, with the Rubicon having a solid axle in the back, it is better for tongue weight than a machine with independent rear suspension as the machine won't squat, just the tires will. You shouldn't have to worry about the transmission getting hot. The engine and tranny use the same oil, and this machine has liquid cooling AND oil cooling. There is an oil cooler in front of the radiator. It also uses both the engine oil temp and coolant temp to sense when to turn the fan on. You can't go wrong with this machine. I am curious though, what exactly are you towing? rooster

Quick Reply: Rubicon for towing...a good choice?