Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

getting out engine mount bolt

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2004, 05:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting out engine mount bolt

i was going to take the engine out of my 400ex today so that i could split the cases and replace my shift fork but i got all the mounts of exept the mount in the very back of the engine then goes throught the swingarm also. that bolt is stuck in there so d@mn good i sat the re poundin on it with a 3lb hammer for 15minutes and accomplished nothin but a pancaked bolt end and a sore hand. amy suggestions on getting it out other than lubing it, cuz i already waisted a bottle of wd40

Old 06-26-2004, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider

we all know that is a PITA to get out. i would just cut it and buy a new one. you will need a new one anyways. mine came out by beating hard enough but it took forever. also, now you know that you should grease the heck out of it when putting it back on. also, it isn't a bad idea to remove it every once in a while to regrease it. good luck

Old 06-26-2004, 11:49 PM
Pro Rider

how would i cut the bolt without cuttin threw ne thing else also?

Old 06-27-2004, 04:27 AM
Pro Rider

I used an angle grinder to grind down the top of the nut (mine was welded on) and a drift pin and ball pein hammer to knock the bolt out. Another thing: PB blaster works waaaay better than WD40 for loosening rusted up bolts.

Old 06-28-2004, 02:48 PM
Range Rover

sawazl at the swingarm pivot pull the beat section out and start pounding again.

Old 06-28-2004, 08:03 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like you should have took that bolt out first. The weaight of the motor is probley resting on that bolt and thats why its so hard to get out. Put the other motor mount bolts back in snug and then try the bolt thats wont reliese again. use a 5lb sledge and a nice screwdriver. Also try getting some weight off the swingarm while pounding.

Old 07-05-2004, 05:32 PM
Pro Rider

the 400ex is notorious for the swingarm bolt getting stuck. i have had to drill mine out starting with a small bit and moving up in size until you have just a skin left of the bolt. you must use the existing hole in the bolt as pilot hole. repeat for both sides. once you get it out then you can clean it up. get a new bolt from your dealer and a rebuild from pivot works. use a high grade marine grease as it will resist water better. you can try other ways but remeber that when you smack on that bolt its going to expand and get even harder to get out. im not saying that beating on it wont work but after the first couple hours ,explore other options.

Old 07-05-2004, 11:42 PM
Pro Rider

i'm taking my motor out this winter... hopefully i dont have the ame problem... even though im bound to have it hte hardest.

Old 07-06-2004, 01:57 PM
Pro Rider

i would plan on having the problem. lol

my bike very very seldom sees water and i had a tough time. i ended up getting mine out by beating on it with a sledge. you need to be careful because that swingarm bolt does bend. however, it did come out over time.

Old 07-06-2004, 08:30 PM
Pro Rider

I have had to do this job on a 250 r and an ex

Like 450r said drilling it out with a series of drills is the way to go.

if you go in a bit at a time from each side be carfull as the steel bushings in the engine casings dont actualy meet in the middel so you can and up with a bit of bolt ratteling about in the gap that is beetween them and that Becomes a real nightmare, as you cant get the new bolt in past it, so make sure the drills are long enough to get clear through the engine casing.

good luck

Quick Reply: getting out engine mount bolt