Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

What oil for the R?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 01:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What oil for the R?

Ok, im ready to change the oil for the R and since the transmission and motor oil are seperate, im kinda confused on what oil/s to get. Can someone tell me what kind of oil i need to use for both tranny and motor? i would really apreciate it, thanks.

Old 06-29-2004, 03:11 PM
HA2
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my old motorcross buddy runs 80w Golden Spectro Gear Lube in the clutch side of things. i dont remember what he runs in for the motor, think he said like a 30weight motor oil that he changes every trip but dont quote me on that one.

Old 06-29-2004, 03:12 PM
HA2
Pro Rider

BTW, thats in his CRF.

Old 06-29-2004, 05:07 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

We are the lucky ones! Seperate motor and trans oils! Read this article, it is the definitive motorcycle oil article, and specifically addresses your question!

http://www.thumperfaq.com/oil.htm

Everything in the article that applies to the CRF450/250 also applies to your R. We can run a slick JASO MB oil in our engine, but you must run a JASO MA oil in our transmission.

OK, is this your FIRST OIL CHANGE??? If so, run a straight dino oil in your motor for the first 10-20 hrs (no synthetics yet!). This is your break-in period. I would recommend Honda GN4, a JASO MA oil (which is no doubt what your dealer put in the bike when they set it up). Then after the first 20 hrs., run Honda HP4M WITH MOLY, a Synthetic/Petrolium Blend, JASO MB oil. And don't complain about it costing $6.00 per quart, your bike is worth the little bit of extra money!

Also change you transmission oil. Use Honda HP Trans Oil.

Old 06-29-2004, 08:42 PM
Pro Rider

I have a CRF450 motor in a quad and I run Amsoil motorcycle 10W40 full synthetic on the crank case side and Belray Thumper 20W50 on the tranny side. Change both oils after every practice/race and change the oil filter every other practice/race.

Old 06-30-2004, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider

thanks everybody. And reconranger, where might i be able to find these nice oils? Should they have them at the honda shop? thanks.

Old 06-30-2004, 01:46 PM
Pro Rider

Ok, one more stupid question that i should know! What oil should i put in my 300ex? Sorry im not on the top of my game when it comes to oils [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 06-30-2004, 09:39 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

In the EX, I would run Honda HP4 WITHOUT MOLY. HP4 is the same oil as HP4M, but without the moly. You can and should, run moly in your 450 engine (but not transmission), but not in your EX because the transmission and engine share the same oil. Moly is to slick, and would make your clutch slip on the EX.

Now that I think of it, 10 hrs. of break-in oil is probably enough. I don't even have 10 hrs. on my 450, because the desert riding season doesn't start until fall (it's like 110 degrees out in the desert today). Mostly right now I am just building the bike. In the hot months, we mostly ride the utilities in the cool mountains.

You can get all these oils at you Honda dealer. Yeah, they are more expensive than Wal-Mart car oils, but how much oil are you going to use in a year? It is a paultry amount of money compared to what you have invested in your machines!

Old 07-01-2004, 03:07 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: reconranger
In the EX, I would run Honda HP4 WITHOUT MOLY. HP4 is the same oil as HP4M, but without the moly. You can and should, run moly in your 450 engine (but not transmission), but not in your EX because the transmission and engine oil share the same oil. Moly is to slick, and would make your clutch slip on the EX.

Now that I think of it, 10 hrs. of break-in oil is probably enough. I don't even have 10 hrs. on my 450, because the desert riding season doesn't start until fall (it's like 110 degrees out in the desert today). Mostly right now I am just building the bike. In the hot months, we mostly ride the utilities in the cool mountains.

You can get all these oils at you Honda dealer. Yeah, they are more expensive than Wal-Mart car oils, but how much oil are you going to use in a year? It is a paultry amount of money compared to what you have invested in your machines!
thanks. ill have to get some here in the next week. And dont worry about me using the cheap oils, id rather burn a hole in my wallet getting the 450 to run at its best than burn an even bigger one in it paying for a rebuild. thanks for the quick replies.

Old 07-04-2004, 10:07 AM
Range Rover

hondaracer305, Amsoil, Royal Purple and Redline are the best synthetic oils you can use. You can get Amsoil at dealer cost by becoming a preferred customer for as little as $10. For more info and a free product catalog go to:
Amsoil Website