Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rancher Engine Noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 04:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rancher Engine Noise

hello, have a 2002 rancher es with around 1500 miles on the engine, i am getting a progressivly worse tick noise, and am wondering what could cause this or what it is, i have recorded the sound and is listed below, please anyone that deals with engines, is this simply a valve lash adjustment that is needed? as i have boughten the bike used, and have no idea when this adjustment has ever been done or if it ever has been done, now my friend, has a 2003 rancher with around 500 miles, his has a tick but nowhere near as loud as mine, please let me know what it is

Engine MP3 format

the file is 3meg, i would appreciate listening to all of it

Old 07-02-2004, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider

personally, yeah....i would say valves making that noise

Old 07-03-2004, 02:25 AM
Range Rover

I did not heard the mp3, I am currently downloading it, stupid Dialup . . .
But I had stange noises too with my Foreman Engine (used too), and it was the Piston slapping the sides of the cylinder due to excessive
wear ... Went two in OverBore and noise disappeared..

Also, check your Skid Plate bolts.. Mine were loose and the plate was making vibration that seemed to come from the engine ..
It may be a stupid thing like that .. . .

Old 07-03-2004, 02:49 AM
Range Rover

I've listened to the Mp3.

Hmm ... It's hard to tell.. But I would try adjusting the valves .. If it makes the same noise, try
to readjust them to see if they kept the setting . . ..

If the sound is still there, maybe it's the piston slapping .. ?? .. But I say that because it happened to
me, could be something else ..
Check oil level too!! .. Better yet, change oil and filter, adjust valves, clean Air Filter, change gas . . .

On idle your engine seem to make the same sound as mine, but it's hard to tell without listening in person ..
I could record a mp3 of my engine and post the link ... .. But it's a foreman, don't know if the engine sound is the same..

Hope it helps...

Old 07-03-2004, 02:04 PM
Pro Rider

wouldn't piston slap be a result of low compression? engine has high compression, i guess i should adjust the valves, question though is this something that needs to be adjust now? or is this just going to cause excessive noise, till its fixed, i have tore the bike down 3 times for other issues, i really really am not in the mood to do it again but if its really important i will

Old 07-03-2004, 06:03 PM
Range Rover

Yeah Piston Slaps would be shown as low compression ..

You did a compression check !? ..

Well, If I was you, I would investigate the problem right now.. If the cause of the noise isn't the valve adjustment, and you keep
riding like that, maybe you'll end up with more problems .. .

And I don't know if a valve adjustment must be done as soon as possible, but in doubt, I would do it right away ... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Just get a beer or two you will be in mood ... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]