Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

HRC kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 04:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HRC kit

Hi. I was wondering if you guys think the HRC kit is worth the money. I heard it kind of takes care of the little bit of lag it has in first gear. I spose I could regear it, but I like the top end.

Old 07-04-2004, 01:15 AM
Range Rover
Default HRC kit

i geared mine down with a 13 tooth, and that made a huge difference, im going to buy the HRC kit here before long and i might go ahead and put the 14 tooth sprocket back on.

Old 07-04-2004, 10:38 PM
Trailblazer
Default HRC kit

in the latest atv action they have an article about the hrc kit in the 450r and the gytr performance stuff on the yfz the hrc kit added about 10 hp to the 450r and the yfz got about 12 hp i think
the kit is awesome in my opinion

Old 07-05-2004, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider
Default HRC kit

I'm sorry but just the HRC kit will NOT add 10hp!

Old 07-05-2004, 03:31 AM
Pro Rider
Default HRC kit

Originally posted by: FaStLaNe
I'm sorry but just the HRC kit will NOT add 10hp!
Why wouldent it I would think close to it about 9 HP but dont ever beilieve what magazine says..

Old 07-05-2004, 04:47 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HRC kit

Fastlane-What bend of T2 handlebars did you get??? I was thinking of maybe CR-HI or TRX (400EX/250R). They don't as yet have a 450R specific bend.

The kit is more than just a cam. Opened up airbox, uncorked exhaust, etc. I got mine with the kit installed, so I can't make any comparisons. Will be interesting to see the article! Hard to imagine it gets 10 more horses, though.

Old 07-05-2004, 09:32 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HRC kit

Our dealership has installed a few kits. Not me personally, I do mostly streetbikes this time of year. But I work right next to the guy that does. He has modded 400EX's, and does quite a bit of performance work "on the side", for his ATV buds, races once in a while (he usually does really well too) and is not prone to exaggerations at all. None of us in the shop were particularily impressed with the 450R stock performance, But after the HRC kits, it really puts a smile on his face. I have not had a chance to ride one with the kit installed. I don't have HP figures, but according to his seat of the pants assessment, it makes ALOT of difference. He was VERY impressed with the difference.

Old 07-05-2004, 10:42 AM
Pro Rider
Default HRC kit

Reconranger--I have a 250R bend and I love it. I also love the T2's crossbar, looks pretty cool [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Now to anyone looking to purchase the HRC kit:
I have a lot of second hand knowledge (and I mean A LOT) that the 450R loses low-end with the HRC. I don't know about you guys, but I don't think the 450R needs a lot more top end, I mean it already hits 78mph stock! Unless you plan on buying a very low-end pipe or you just don't care about low-end that much because you like to cruise around at the dunes, then this may be the choice for you. The Sparks cam is much better for low end and the Hot Cams Stage 1 is too. However, the Stage 2 is very similar to the HRC cam. Once more thing, just my $.02, but I think you would be better off buying a better cam and a full exhaust seeing that you will get more gains and you will probably be buying a new exhaust anyway....

If you want any more info on these types of things for the 450 just visit that site in my sig, extremely helpful....

Old 07-05-2004, 02:47 PM
Trailblazer
Default HRC kit

Interesting... I've found just the opposite with my HRC kit. There's way more bottom end with the kit. Maybe the people you've talked to have aftermarket pipes tuned for high end? I'm running the stock muffler with HRC cap. I like to play in the tree hill-climbs at the dunes so bottom end torque is what it's all about. I run a 13 tooth and can shift into second on some pretty steep stuff when without the kit it was all 1st gear only.

Also, I've seen several people refer to mph when talking about top end. I've always heard that called top speed. Top end is a motor that likes to rev and pulls harder with higher rpm. While it's true you'll gain top speed, it also means stronger pull in all of the gears (more acceleration). That's especially true if you gear down. Some people want that kind of top end, not necessarily more top speed.

Old 07-05-2004, 03:41 PM
Pro Rider
Default HRC kit

Originally posted by: 35Charlie
Also, I've seen several people refer to mph when talking about top end. I've always heard that called top speed. Top end is a motor that likes to rev and pulls harder with higher rpm. While it's true you'll gain top speed, it also means stronger pull in all of the gears (more acceleration). That's especially true if you gear down. Some people want that kind of top end, not necessarily more top speed.
your correct I have heard it a lot too