Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

K&N vs Foam

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2004, 05:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N vs Foam

Do you remember a topic about Kand N filters a few months ago and how they were doing a poor job of protecting engines ?

I called A honda dealer i used to by all the parts for my R from to see if he could get me some parts for my DS as they are big into racing and genraly good guys, where as my bomb dealer is big into tractors and well ?

Anyway when i asked if he could get hold of a K and n for me he said no problem but he would no longer recomend them for four strokes as all the bikes running them that they dealt with (mostly 400 ex) were smoking there nuts of after a couple of years and the guys on foam didnt seem to have the same problem.

A problem that never raised its head on two strokes as they get re built more often any way.

Now the bikes in question are almost certinaly all riding on dirt and in the clouds of crap coming off the bikes in front and i run on sand which has much bigger particals so i cant see them getting through the k and n .

the dealer nor myself are biased either way but its certinaly food for thought

Old 07-05-2004, 03:06 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default K&N vs Foam

Literally thousands of miles of dusty desert riding on a bunch of different bikes, and my engines all last forever, and a day! And, believe me, you don't have dust anywhere in Scotland that compares with the Mojave desert (gets like 2" of rain per year).

I have 3 filters with Outerwears per bike. One on the bike, one in the wash, and one oiled up and ready to go. I change them out when the Outerwears gets moderately dirty (one day's ride at the most).

Old 07-05-2004, 08:16 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N vs Foam

K and Ns are great, if you keep them clean.