Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

honest opinion please

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 11:20 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default honest opinion please

hi guys here in australia a 400ex and a suzukiz400 are the same price$9990 i no this is a honda forum but which do u think is the best bike and why thanks

Old 07-05-2004, 11:32 AM
Elite Pro Rider

i have the honda and it's great but the future will probably see the z get better and better, with the 450 class out they both may fade to the rear though. i still think the honda is more reliable, but the liquid cooling will be a good thing. friends that have the suzuki have frame issues mainly cracks.

Old 07-05-2004, 11:47 AM
Pro Rider

If they are both the same price I would take the Z. just because you would get more for your money. water cooled, reverse. and if I'm not mistaking the Z has a higher resell value.

Old 07-05-2004, 11:59 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have both, so I have no reason to BS you in any way! The EX is the better choice for tight trails. It is without a doubt, the best trail bike made!. The engine lugs down and pulls at low speed. The Z engine is more revey, and better suited for more open trails, and wide open country where you can rev it out. Handling on both is excellent, with the Z having a slightly lighter feel. The EX doesn't have reverse, but I can live without that. Both seem to be trouble free and durable. The Z engine is far more high tech, but the EX engine is bulletproof. The EX has won a bunch of desert endurance races, although it is underpowered compared to the current crop of bikes. If you ask me what bike I would depend on to get me home from a 60 mile desert ride, it is the EX.

Old 07-05-2004, 06:40 PM
Pro Rider

I don't wanna get shot being a Honda owner on a Honda board but if they are the same $ then I would probably go with the Z.............................click!click! BANG!!!!!!

Old 07-05-2004, 07:14 PM
Range Rover

I havent had the chance to ride a z400 but i have rode my brothers 400ex. Only thing done to it was a new pipe. I love it plenty of low end pull it can run only about 4 lengths behind a stock banshee on a 300ft drag. It does this regularly. My opinion might change it I had the chance to ride the z400 but who knows. I say the EX. As for the motor being outdated, thats like saying a 67 Mustang or a 69 Chevelle is outdated. There is a reason that the motor hasnt had any changes, its a good motor. Kinda like the saying "If its not broke, then dont fix it."

Old 07-05-2004, 07:27 PM
Pro Rider

Both are great. For me reverse was the deciding factor. Liquid cooling is a nicety, not a necessity. For less than $10 australian, you can mod a z to have more low end grunt, unless your getting an 05 model, then I have no idea if you'd even need to. If you don't intend on racing, then both bikes would be reliable. If you race and ride hard, then no matter what you get, it comes down to when it's going to break, not if. Like I said, I faced the same decision last year when I got the z. If ex had reverse, I'd be riding red right now! If reverse isn't a big deal to you and jumping is, the ex is definitely the pick. THat thing should have been made with wings, cuz it was born to fly.

Old 07-05-2004, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: craZ400
Both are great. For me reverse was the deciding factor. Liquid cooling is a nicety, not a necessity. For less than $10 australian, you can mod a z to have more low end grunt, unless your getting an 05 model, then I have no idea if you'd even need to. If you don't intend on racing, then both bikes would be reliable. If you race and ride hard, then no matter what you get, it comes down to when it's going to break, not if. Like I said, I faced the same decision last year when I got the z. If ex had reverse, I'd be riding red right now! If reverse isn't a big deal to you and jumping is, the ex is definitely the pick. THat thing should have been made with wings, cuz it was born to fly.
are u saying the ex is a better jumper?

Old 07-05-2004, 11:31 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: snowbuster
Originally posted by: craZ400

if he isnt then i am... they jump insanly great and comfortably.

Old 07-06-2004, 12:39 AM
Pro Rider

Yes, yes I am! I rode an ex back when they first came out, my buddy back home had it ordered 6mo. before it came in. Anyway, I had never really ridden quads much back then, rode his old warrior once or twice, but not a lot. But I jumped on that ex, and that thing jumped as smooth as a bike. Stayed nice and flat in the air, and came down smooth. IMHO they're the best jumping quad you can buy. And a 440 kit in one doesn't hurt either.

Quick Reply: honest opinion please