Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

finding the balance point in wheelies

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 06:43 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default finding the balance point in wheelies

i have a 400ex and i was wondering how to hold wheelies out for a long time. i can get the front up fine but holding it up is hard. please help.

Old 08-22-2004, 07:28 PM
Pro Rider

I have 1 too just feather the throttle.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-22-2004, 09:33 PM
Range Rover

how long can you ride it

Old 08-22-2004, 11:50 PM
Pro Rider

The longest I can ride 1 in 1st is about 200 yards but I usually shift into second.

Old 08-23-2004, 01:10 AM
Range Rover

[quote]
Originally posted by: SickRider
The longest I can ride 1 in 1st is about 200 yards but I usually shift into second.[/

is your 400ex straight up , and when i try to do this is first i rev really high.

Old 08-23-2004, 01:14 AM
Range Rover

I dont see you riding a wheelie in first that long. Your engine revs too high. Your gunna end up blowing your engine IF you are doing this.

Old 08-23-2004, 01:19 PM
Pro Rider

"I dont see you riding a wheelie in first that long. Your engine revs too high. Your gunna end up blowing your engine IF you are doing this. "

If you are on the balance point, u don't have to keep on increaseing the throttle. You just punch it a little, then let off and so on. As for the question. The easiest way to find your balance point is to just experiment with it. To be able to ride it on the balance point, you must not have the engine revved un to high. If you are gassing it and not flipping, that means you are not at the balance point yet. First start out popping the clutch if u can not get it up high enough without over revving it. When u get it up, gas it til you feel like its gonna flip, then let off. If you flip, who cares. If u are on level ground, you will be all set. Hope that helps.

Old 08-23-2004, 02:23 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We can't help u with that question Tyson, just keep practicing and you will feel were the blance point is. Once you do this you can do them slow in 1st, or fast through all the gears as long as u want.

P.S. If you know what you are doing, you can ride one in 1st without much rev for miles if there is that kind of room. I have probably rode one in 1st for a 1/2 mile before, took a while though.

Old 08-23-2004, 03:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya once u find the balancing point u just have to blip the throttle to keep it up

Old 08-23-2004, 03:56 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: yellow400exman
I dont see you riding a wheelie in first that long. Your engine revs too high. Your gunna end up blowing your engine IF you are doing this.
I can ride a wheelie in 1st until there is no more room....it's just like Jay said.

Tyson...."balance point" is all about feel. You'll be able to tell when you are there. The slower you go, the higher it is.

Also, if you are going uphill, the balance point is lower....if you are going downhill it's higher.

I don't recommend "blipping" the throttle. That's known as "throttle chopping"...it's better to stay nice and smooth....don't let completely off the throttle unless you absolutely have to.

-Josh

Quick Reply: finding the balance point in wheelies