Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

why do people think Honad is so good ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 01:31 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why do people think Honad is so good ?

Thanks

wonder if reconranger is still around.

i am working so that is why i cant ride yet.

will ride this evening though and tomorrow eve.

if he could read right he'd already know this.

Old 09-18-2004, 02:36 PM
Pro Rider

Personally?

I believe honda is good because of a few reasons. One is their R&D area, next would have to be their designing. I think honda sticks off from putting all these electric starts and battery's and stuff like that because they put it out to see how people like it bare bones, I mean.. like the 450r, it's not barebones by any means but they did release a crf450X, who says in the near future after "R&D" they will see how it holds up on a quad? If you know any thing about honda, they do not just stick motorcycle engines in quads, they rework them, redesign for better reliability/performance in that application.

I have owned many honda's over the years, 1976 minitrail 50/1980 cr80r/1981 250r/1982 cr80r/1984 200M/1984 185/two 1986 trx250rs/ Overall they have been all great bikes. They never needed bottom end work, or any thing of the such, we didn't even maintain the bikes really besides our 86' 250r's which are magnificant machines without a doubt. I am selling mine though to buy a new 450. Why? Technology does improve over 18 years and if they made something new it ussually has had a lot of time and skill put into it. I looked at both the yfz450 and the 450r. I was seriously going to get the yfz for a one reason. It's faster. But then I started looking at the internals of things like inside the 450r the twin sump oil, higher rated bearings, steel valves, larger gas tank, easier to access airbox/tools. I realized the yamaha *A great machine indeed* had a dirt bike motor that had stronger gears and different sized sprockets. There may be more but I don't exactly remember, now.. The big test was how they feel? I went to the dealership and sat on both 04's (first the yfz) and I noticed the seat felt like a dirt bike seat to me, very narrow at the gas tank but it felt good when I stood up, really low though. I tried to take off the seat and it was very hard just to find where it was and also to get back on. I sat on the 450r and noticed the softer seat which sat a tiny bit higher, larger gas tank that really fit your legs, and comfortable sitting position. Also it felt good just standing because of the handlebars. To me quality was a higher priority in honda than yamaha because of how things fit, the way they were designed, etc. I am in no way bashing yamaha because I know with the same mods they ussually are faster, but I don't drag race. I think for some one that likes to polish their bike for 10 hours after they go riding and can afford when things break they should go for the yamaha because it is a great mx machine. But for a trail rider or sand duner the honda is the way to go, if any of you have started the 450r you won't bash it for the kick starter. My cr80r is harder to start.

Old 09-18-2004, 02:41 PM
Range Rover

i have not researched anything about the 450's just going by what i have read

why is the Honda supposedly the same weight without the starter and battery ? why couldnt they top the yfz and make it lighter ?

Old 09-18-2004, 02:59 PM
Range Rover

the yamaha, because of having an e-start had to use lighter weight materials in other places. by honda eliminating the weight of an e-start they were able to use beefier construction in other areas.
i know they have a cast aluminum swinger which im not sure if its lighter and wqeaker than the hondas but they use aluminum upper a-arms on the yammi which is just dumb. i have talked to the owner of the atv shop that i go to once in a while and he said the rappy has aluminum upper a-arms too and he has seen tons of them tweaked, and that its a nice chunk of change when you gotta replace one

Old 09-18-2004, 03:03 PM
Range Rover

my buddy which is 390 lbs rides a craptor and has done some amazing stuff on it and never has "tweaked" anything. and he's done some hard landings believe me. i aint disputing what you say but just telling what i have experienced

i always thought his raptor was awesome for hauling him around cause he aint a good rider.

Old 09-18-2004, 05:15 PM
Pro Rider

I HOPE THAT;
Honda never puts E-start and change the gearing on the 450R.
Honda never makes a 650EX.
Yamaha never makes the YFZ ride better and have better ergonomics.
Suzuki never makes a LTZ450.
Suzuki dealers never budge on their prices (cause they don't).
Because if any of these were to happen?

MY CHECKBOOK WOULD BE IN WORST SHAPE THAN IT ALREADY IS!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

People, they are all good! The best one is the one that YOU have because its YOURS! Just ride [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-18-2004, 07:24 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Do you have a balloon?

Originally posted by: Ozark38
I HOPE THAT;
Honda never puts E-start and change the gearing on the 450R.
Honda never makes a 650EX.
Yamaha never makes the YFZ ride better and have better ergonomics.
Suzuki never makes a LTZ450.
Suzuki dealers never budge on their prices (cause they don't).
Because if any of these were to happen?

MY CHECKBOOK WOULD BE IN WORST SHAPE THAN IT ALREADY IS!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

People, they are all good! The best one is the one that YOU have because its YOURS! Just ride [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
You have earned a trophy. Smartest thing posted all day.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-18-2004, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why is it everyone is so worried about Honda? Why does everyone compare their ATV's to Honda? Why do the majority of the people you ride with think Honda is #1.

I am not claiming Honda is the best, but so far I have put 5000 miles on one of my Hondas and just spent $11.80 for two upper control arm bushings, my first repair. I guess maybe I should have bought one of those "less expensive" ATVs and saved me a bunch of money.

The people that live across the street from me own and ride with 6 or 7 Yamahas, mostly sport bikes. All together they don’t have 5000 miles on them and they have spent enough on repairs they could have bought a nice 2-wd Rancher S, and had at least one dependable ATV, probably made a nice tow vehicle. One of them has a brand new 660 Raptor, 1st time out the rear disc brake froze up and is in the shop today. Needles to say, he had a wonderful weekend watching his buddies out riding.

I went into the Yamaha forum and asked two simple questions, not for bashing, for a friend, one response, what a bunch of really nice people. I am sure there are a lot of really nice people who ride Yamahas, so I hate to generalize like that.

Just out of curiosity, how would someone from the Yamaha side know there is something better than a Honda?

have a wonderful day!

Old 09-19-2004, 12:11 AM
Range Rover

i just hate yamaha and i should probably admit it. im biased and every post i make will probably be biased. sorry

Old 09-19-2004, 12:31 AM
Pro Rider

I heard you had to have big gonad's to ride Honad's......

Quick Reply: why do people think Honad is so good ?