Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Thinking of getting 450R...

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 07:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of getting 450R...

Im thinking of getting a new black 450R but have some questions..How often would I have to rebuild this thing? Is it as reliable as a 400ex? what about gas milage? I love my R but its just too much of a gas hog and I want a 4stroke now. How would a 450R with a pipe, cam, and filter compare to a Baja X with the same mods in a straight drag? Ive beaten some modded ds's on my R by a few bike lengths so I dont want to start all over with a slower bike...any replies will be greatly appreciated

Old 09-23-2004, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider

Well, I had a DS650 before I traded it in on my 450R. It had 3 inch end cap, K&N filter, 4 angle valve job, and some other little goodies. When I got my 450R I would bet money that even stock it would take my DS in 300ft pretty easy. The only thing my DS had over the R is top end which I really don't care about anyway. I like to go from point A to point B quick. Do a few things to the 450R and you should be impressed. It might fool you though because the 450R power band is very smooth and you don't feel like you're going as fast as you really are. That might take a little bit of the fun factor away compared to your 250R but it's less fatiguing and you're getting the power to the ground instead of spinning yourself in the ground and not going anywhere. Don't worry about rebuilding it like the CRF's have to be... It has a different piston than the bike motor with an extra ring to solve reliability questions/issues. From the cam specifications that I read, the stock cam is holding the motor back quite a bit. It's pretty mild which creates the smoother power. The HRC cam looks to be about the best cam you can get. I even read Curtis Sparks cam specs and they don't create as much lift or duration as the HRC cam. (I read up on other aftermarket cam specs and most don't even compare to the HRC cam except the Hotcam stage 2. It's very similar to the HRC cam but not quite the lift or duration and it shouldn't take much if any bottom end power away while maximizing mid range and top end HP and torque gains.(Which the HRC cam will take some bottom end power away). My opinion is to pick between the HRC cam or the Hotcam stage 2, whatever you can get for a better price. That's what I think I might do anyhow. Definatly get the HRC airbox lid and intake snorkle to get some air in that motor. It's terribly corked up with the stock exhaust, airbox configuration, and jetting. Also DEFINATLY Get the 13 tooth countershaft sproket! I got mine today and it makes a world of difference. For now I'm gonna order a DR. D slip on exhaust for my 450R untill I can get the money for a headpipe. The stock headpipe looks pretty restrictive, but the stock canister even with the HRC end cap is holding back airflow substantially. After market filter should help out here some too due to the stock backfire screen in the filter. If you have any other questions let me know.

Old 09-23-2004, 12:55 AM
Pro Rider

The only insight I have to offer here is on the plastic. Great help, I know[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]Just in case you weren't aware, while black plastic does look absolutely kick-@$$ off the showroom floor, it shows fading and scratches probably quicker than any other color of plastic out there. If you want to keep your machine looking good just that much longer, I would go with the red unless you don't care about long-term looks. I wonder if the new 400EX plastics are compatible with the 450R? Yellow is the ultimate in hiding scratches and having a yellow 450R would definitely turn some heads.

Old 09-25-2004, 11:04 PM
Pro Rider

The black plastics wouldnt be on there for long, I want silver ones[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]. Went to the stearlership (which I used to work at) and Im able to get it for $5250 otd.. is this a good price or can I find better? Also I read sumwhere on here about the warranty not covering everything or only being for 6months is that true? thanx 4 the help

Old 09-25-2004, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider

Also I read sumwhere on here about the warranty not covering everything or only being for 6months is that true?
hey, warrantys never cover everything! true, the original warranty only covers 6 months but is upgradeable. mines warrantteed to like 2007. as far as the HRC kit, i think if a dealer does the work or if it is proven that a qualified person does it then honda will warranty it. any other non honda OEM part they will not cover. if im wrong, then im sure someone will enlighten me.

$5250otd is a very good price. i wish mine cost that...oh well that's the price you pay when you get the first one at the dealer. i didnt pay retail but i didnt get it at 52 either...

just a note and not trying to start a flame, but i see you have a 86 250R. dont be surpised if you like it better than the 450 in terms of handling. its more balanced and has a lower center of gravity than the 450. but the 450 is a good bike. it still handles good, but TOO ME (maybe not others - that's ok), not as good as the original R. the engine and shocks are great on the 450 though.

as far as rebuilding it, yes, its more maintenance than a 400ex or something, but honda
re-engineered this engine for the atv so that you wont have to rebuild it near as often as
the CRF version.

Old 09-26-2004, 01:22 AM
Pro Rider

I know its not going to handle as well as my R, as far as im concerned I have the best handling bike ever made! but thats just my opinion...I just want the best of the 4stroke market right now. If I get it Ill only use it for trail rides and maybe once or twice at the track, my R is my track bike so I just want something else thats bad@ss so I dont have to use my R as much. How long have you had your 450? any problems? or anything parts uve needed to replace?

Old 09-26-2004, 01:49 AM
Pro Rider

we're agreed on the 250R! well ive had my 450 since feb. havent replaced anything except gas and stuff like that. ive heard of some heat sheilds falling off and kickstart levers on some but it hasnt happened to mine.

pretty solid bike- cant complain on that. typical honda.

can complain on starting it though. stall it and find out. several kicks even with the great hot start button. the 250r, stall it - one/two/maybe three kicks- back up and running. oh and NEVER hit the gas on the 450 when you go to start it. its very sensitive to that. when and if honda ever puts estart, im there. With the advent of the new CRF450X, im predicting that it will be inevitable.

another thing i dont like is (other than the aforementioned center of gravity and balance) is the gearing. first is too tall, fifth is not tall enough- or it needs a sixth gear - it would easily pull it.

other than that get it. you ll like it. i know it seems like i dog it out, but overall i like it.