Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Time to upgrade! 450R OR PREDATOR????

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 01:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to upgrade! 450R OR PREDATOR????

I've been thinking about it and I think it's time to upgrade to something better than my 440ex. It's an awesome quad but as much as I hate to admit it, it is outdated and I want something with some more ***** and more high tec BS. I rode a brand new stock pred and wasn't impressed, the thing didn't even feel as fast as my 440. I rode that same quad with a pipe and mannnnn what a difference! That thing wanted to pull the front end up all the way thru third gear without even trying! My 440 is no dog but that pred ran like a raped ape and just had so much more torque than the EX. I never rode a 450r but they seem pretty sweet from what i hear. Now my question is: what should I get? the 450R or the pred? I love honda and the 450R seems like an awesome quad but will it be as reliable as I need it to be? The only problem I have ever had with my 440 was I blew the head gasket twice. I have never had it break down and it has never leave me stranded. Will I have to rebuild the 450R top end every year or will it last like the 400ex top end? I like the pred too, it's a really well designed quad with power to boot but it seems like kind of an oddball with all the new fangled doo dads and weird overall geometry. I might just bite the bullet and part out/sell my quad and BUY SOMETHING NEW WITH A F*^*ING WARRANTY! I'm sick of fixing everything, not really the quad but these damn automobiles! Which has better bang for the buck? the 450R or predator? Which is more reliable? which will last the longest? I dont care whats faster and I dont wanna hear any brand bashing. Detailed answers and good advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Old 09-30-2004, 01:42 AM
Pro Rider

Have you tried one of the 05 Troy Lee Preds? it is supposed to have a closer-ratio trans.

What style of Ridind do you do?

Old 09-30-2004, 11:48 AM
Pro Rider

hmm....the pred has alot of power (compared to my stock 400EX), but it weighs like 415 lbs. the 450R ive never ridden, but its alot lighter, like 350

Old 09-30-2004, 03:34 PM
Pro Rider

yfz!!!

Old 09-30-2004, 04:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

yfz!!!
Gotta agree with him...

Old 09-30-2004, 05:15 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't mean to come off the wrong way here, but if he was considering a yfz he would have said so.

Anyways, IMO I like the 450R better just for weight and craftsmanship reasons. It feels a lot lighter and I prefer the handling of the R over the pred. I feel the overall craftsmanship is really good on the R compared to others. The pred does seem to have more power stock vs. stock, but from ur past, I would say u R going to mod anyways and I feel mod for mod the R will react better. Plus I'd be willing to bet there will be more aftermarket parts in the long run for the R and that is always nice. But this is just my opinion and what I would go with between the 2, but everyone is different and to each his own.

Old 09-30-2004, 05:17 PM
Pro Rider

get the 450r its a honda and it is like 60 pounds lighter

Old 09-30-2004, 05:24 PM
Pro Rider

tween the pred and 450R, id say the 450R

Old 09-30-2004, 09:59 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Do you have a balloon?

There is one of each in my garage. There is also a 440. I know what you mean about the up grade. IMO, if you ride flat out ***** to the wall style, with big jumps get the Honda. If you are into cruizing once in a while get the Predator. I have not ridden the 05 Pred but I will probably have it as my next quad. I have to wait till next year I was told, though.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 10-02-2004, 05:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I will be an outcast(an because I have one) and vote for the pred......First off, it is heavier(not by as much as everyone thinks....possibly 30lbs IMO.....remember polaris does a true weight(wet) and everyone else, I think does a foney dry weight)......but anyways, lots of guys around here are mxing and xcing them.....also quite a bit of dragging out of them......It might take a bit more work, who knows.....I will say they are really reliable, and have an awesome warranty......Also tons of power.

My conclusion is:
For mx: you better go with the R, or pred is you want to do a lot of work with it(including a lot of practice)
for xc: either again, I would say they are about even here.....pred is pretty nice in races like this, but I'm sure the R is too
For trialriding: pred
for dragging: Again I would say pred, but that is up to you.....I think it makes more power.....but maybe not, I haven't ever actually rode an R, just been with one.....

Quick Reply: Time to upgrade! 450R OR PREDATOR????