ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Honda (https://atvconnection.com/forums/honda/)
-   -   Rancher Purchase - Help! (https://atvconnection.com/forums/honda/181959-rancher-purchase-help.html)

prieber14 12-01-2004 07:02 PM

Rancher Purchase - Help!

the AT is a good choice, but all auto [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] if u get a 350, then get a manual shift, ur more likely to have problems with the electric shift...

buckweet1234 12-01-2004 07:30 PM

Rancher Purchase - Help!

during deer season back in missouri....my brother n' i...and a 180 pound deer on my brand new rancher [ES] 4x4 went thru bean fields,creek's..water..ect. not a problem..
mud was terrible...[soggy muddy bean field]..
over 700 pounds of weight on the bike.never missed a beat. that rancher is one tuff bike !!
im very happy with it.
buckweet

RancheRider 12-01-2004 10:48 PM

Rancher Purchase - Help!

Sounds like you ride like I do. I have a Rancher so I'm going to be biased. It's not a speed demon, for sure. But if you're not interested in feeling your cheeks pinned back to your ears you're making the right decision. I've heard people say the ES models had problems, but 3000 miles later and I've never taken mine to the shop for anything other than a recall for front suspension bolts. Having said that, I would NOT spring for the extended warranty, after all, it's a Honda! I know there are varying degrees of problems with almost every manufacturer, but the bottom line is the warranty is only as good as the dealer servicing the machine anyway. I WOULD take time to find a dealer you feel you can trust, if there's more than one in your particular area.

The writer suggesting the Warn 424 had a pretty good idea. I've been thinking about one for my Honda. I've found them for as little as $259, from Cabela's, I think!

In short, I don't think you could go wrong with any model Rancher.

jamesNC 12-01-2004 10:58 PM

Rancher Purchase - Help!

I bought an 04 Rancher ES4 and an 04 Recon ES from Southern in Chattanooga. I had to drive 7 hours 1 way . It was well worth it for my purchase. I also priced my purchase locally (Raleigh, NC area), and saved about $2500 for the drive. Southern , in my opinion is a reputable dealership, and Honda will honor their warranty at any Honda dealership. Southerns prices are OTD (out-the-door) and there are no hidden fees. As far as the trash talk that your local sales person laid on Southern, I find that a lowly form of sales to say the least. Southern is a very high volume dealer, and my local dealer admitted that Southern was able to sell at around $100 over invoice due to their high volume. I had expected to use the prices quoted by Southern in order to get his price down, but he told me that they could not compete with the volume. Southern delivered 56 Honda ATV's on the day I was there and I saw no skeptical business practices. My Rancher and my daughters Recon have matching VIN's, were new and delivered to industry standards.
I am in way affiliated or associated with Southern Honda of Chattanooga, aside from the fact that I did purchase my ATV's at their dealership.

jamesNC 12-01-2004 11:04 PM

Rancher Purchase - Help!

Proof reading corrections..
Our VIN's don't match each others, but the frame and engine numbers match on each vehicle.
and, I am in NO way associated with Southern Honda of Chattanooga.

I'll try to proofread in the future, before I quick click.

JFootman 12-02-2004 12:07 AM

Rancher Purchase - Help!

I contacted a number of local (<75mi) dealers today. Those I asked about about Southern Honda Powersports agreed they are a volume dealer & that the comments from my local dealer were not only wrong, but poor business practice. None could come close to Chattanooga's prices. SHP doesn't have any '04 Rancher standard shifts left, but has one '04 ES 4x4 left. Their OTD price was $4472 (Tennessee sales tax blows!). The best anyone else could do was $5050 OTD for the ES. SHP's extended warranty (4yr) is $499. One of the dealers I talked to said Honda will contact me about a month before the 6 month standard warranty ends & offer the 4yr for MSRP ($550) +10% and may even finance it. I'm more concerned about the ES & it's reliability but I guess I can see how reliable it is for the first 6 months & it may cost me about $105 more to purchase it later. If I get it, I won't use it, if I don't I'll pay through the nose for repairs. Either way, if I buy from SHP I can still get the warranty & be less than the other dealers.

Any additional comments/recommendations regarding the ES would be welcome in addition to any other comments regarding earlier posts. Thanx again for everyone's input.

-JFootman

oldturtle 12-02-2004 07:45 PM

Rancher Purchase - Help!

Originally posted by: JFootman
I mentioned Chattanooga & the sales woman told me that Honda does not require dealerships to honor warranty work on vehicles purchased from another dealer. In other words, if I bought from Chattanooga I'd have to take it back to them for any repairs. She said the manager of the Chattanooga store was just jailed & the store is not a legitimate Honda dealership. She also said they found the dealership had "switched" frames, i.e. someone had purchased a 2004 ATV but the VIN showed the frame was from an earlier model. I'm afraid I'm somewhat gullible, but come on! As much as I'd like to buy local to support the local economy, if this is their tactics am I better off driving 3 hrs to have any warranty work done regardless? Has anyone had this problem with a dealer honoring warranty work? She said it's a "new" policy and started at the beginning of this year.
-JFootman
Sounds to me like the local saleswoman is stooping to an all time low in bad mouthing another dealer to get you to pay her higher price. I have never had any problem getting any dealer that I selected to do warranty work. I have often traveled some distance to have work done at a shop that I thought would do better work. I'd buy from whoever will give you the best price.

MICHIGANDER 12-02-2004 08:40 PM

Rancher Purchase - Help!

I've got an 04 rancher AT. i couldn't be happier. these things can really take a beating. other than deep water i haven't found anything they won't go through. i don't mind shifting gears, but there are certain situations where it can be a pain. i went with the AT because anyone can ride it. we have private property we ride on and all the inexperienced riders in my family don't need a lesson to have fun on it. they definitly aren't speed demons(53 top end) but they have enough power to climb and pull. i did purchase the extended warrenty, it adds just a few bucks a month to the payment. no big deal. anything under $6000 OTD is a pretty good price.

buckweet1234 12-02-2004 11:04 PM

Rancher Purchase - Help!

my daughter sent me a e-mail telling me about her and her friends out 4-wheeling...
several differand brands,wher on hand.she was riding our honda rancher [ES].
not a single time did she think,she needed a bigger or faster bike,she said she was keeping up with everybody.mud hill's,snow....
she likes it alot... wants me to buy another one.
so we can ride together.
i think i will !!!!
buckweet

AKTundrabuster 12-09-2004 02:26 AM

Rancher Purchase - Help!

get the 05 manual. save your money. Thats what I have and love it. I took it on a moose/caribou hunt in Sept. Great bike. I too am large man.