ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Honda (https://atvconnection.com/forums/honda/)
-   -   Rancher Purchase - Help! (https://atvconnection.com/forums/honda/181959-rancher-purchase-help.html)

JFootman 11-30-2004 01:38 PM

Rancher Purchase - Help!

I'm in the market for a new Rancher & I'm needing help determining which one is right for me. I'm 32 & plan on primarily trail riding and some occasional snow plowing. I don't "feel the need for speed" which I've read is one of the Rancher's downfalls. I've only ridden my father's '91 Fourtrax 4x4, but have grown up BMX racing, mountain biking & being being fairly aggressive in most things I do & expect to do the same with the ATV.

I don't have money for costly repairs & I'm considering the extended warranty (worth it?). I want something that I can trust & not be in the the shop on a regular basis which is the main reason I'm only considering Honda.

What I'm considering is a 2004 or 2005 ES or manual shift or a 2005 ATGPS. I'm fairly close to Chattanooga & can get them for the following prices (which is cheaper than any of my local dealers):
2004 Rancher 350 ES4 (4x4 Electric Shift) $4083
2004 Rancher 350 S4 (4x4 Manual Shift) $4,033
2005 Rancher 350 ES4 (4x4 Electric Shift) $4,383
2005 Rancher 350 S4 (4x4 Manual Shift) $4,233
2005 Rancher 400 AT GPS (4x4 Automatic) $5,133

Here are my thoughts/concerns:
-I would like switchable 2wd/4wd (AT), but I've read the Foreman is not as well designed for trail riding.
-I'm concerned about the posts about the AT reliability & inability or willingness of dealers to fix problems.
-Is nearly (or over) $1000 worth the increased engine size & HP, 4wd/2wd, automatic/ES? (I can save $150 for no GPS, but that seems worth it)
-Is the manual shift more reliable/trouble free than the ES?
-I can't find any details regarding changes between the 2004 & 2005 models & whether they're worth the $200-$300. I've been to the Honda website, but nothing major appears to have changed.

I'm sure I'll think of additional questions but if anyone can preempt them with info I can use I'd appreciate it. Thanx in advance for all your help.

-JFootman

alleycat 11-30-2004 04:24 PM

Rancher Purchase - Help!

If you really like the 350 Rancher you could install a warn 424 kit. This will make the bike 2wd 4wd switchable. I think a couple hundred for the kit. I am also looking at the Rancher for purchase and I am leaning towards the 350. Like the electric shift and will be doing the above.

RedRancher 11-30-2004 05:44 PM

Rancher Purchase - Help!

I would purchase the 2004 Rancher 350 S4 (4x4 Manual Shift) $4,033 model. This is an excellent machine and with it being a manual shift it promises to be very reliable. I've driven both and for me I like shifting with the foot, I like the direct control, plus it reminds me of my dirt biking days. Anyway, the 2005 is not worth the extra $200, from what I've been told nothing has changed from 04 to 05 models. Take the $200 you save and buy the warn 424 kit, this will allow you to manually select between 4 wheel and 2 wheel drive. As for speed the 350 is plenty fast for the trails (with the 424 kit on 2 wheel drive mode you should get to about 50mph.) About the extended warranty I chose not to purchase it when I bought my Rancher. About 5 months later or a month before the standard warranty ended I received a letter direct from Honda Motors offering me the extended warranty, the cost was half that amount the dealership tried to swindle. I don't know if this is a common practice by Honda Motors or what but if I were you I wouldn't buy the extended warranty if you went with model I mentioned above.

CBR310 11-30-2004 09:11 PM

Rancher Purchase - Help!

I love me ES!!! I do some fast trail riding and any mud i find I try it an d almost always get thru it with the stock tires. I love the es cause you can shift while your buried in the mud/water and not get your boots soaked. I got the warn 424 and its even better now!!! Feels so much sportier than before and easier to steer.

Expeditioneer 11-30-2004 09:35 PM

Rancher Purchase - Help!

JFootman;
Don't exclude the 2005 Honda Foreman's. Honda has upgraded the chasses significantly; to include disk brakes (front), longer travel suspension, larger motor. Check the Honda website, as it has the specs on it and the Rancher's. As far as the GPS is concerned; don't buy the Honda GPS. You can do a lot better with a handheld GPS from one of the many manufacturers. The nice thing about a hand held is that you can take it with you when your quad gets mired in the mud or otherwise breaks down and you don't exactly know the shortest distance in your hike back to civilization or your trailer. BTW; my last Foreman had the ES transmission and I really miss that. I'm now considering the new 2005 Foreman or the new Suzuki King Quad. My dealer doesn't have the new Foreman on the floor yet, but if the seat is like the Rincon, I'm really, really interested. Just my thoughts.

JFootman 11-30-2004 11:31 PM

Rancher Purchase - Help!

I visited my local Honda dealer tonight. They've got an olive Rancher 4x4 (foot shift) that they will sell me for $5000 even out the door & will throw in a helmet. I mentioned Chattanooga & the sales woman told me that Honda does not require dealerships to honor warranty work on vehicles purchased from another dealer. In other words, if I bought from Chattanooga I'd have to take it back to them for any repairs. She said the manager of the Chattanooga store was just jailed & the store is not a legitimate Honda dealership. She also said they found the dealership had "switched" frames, i.e. someone had purchased a 2004 ATV but the VIN showed the frame was from an earlier model. I'm afraid I'm somewhat gullible, but come on! As much as I'd like to buy local to support the local economy, if this is their tactics am I better off driving 3 hrs to have any warranty work done regardless? Has anyone had this problem with a dealer honoring warranty work? She said it's a "new" policy and started at the beginning of this year.

I'm leaning towards the foot shift d/t reliability but will miss the display for miles/hours, gear & MPH. I think I will get the Warn 424 kit. I know I could get both from the Foreman, but I don't know if the money is worth the extra weight, size and engine size I probably won't miss.

Lastly, what's everyone think... $5k even out the door a good enough deal or should I keep shopping?

Thanx again for all your help & advice.

-JFootman

bodab 11-30-2004 11:49 PM

Rancher Purchase - Help!

hey call another dealer and ask them about the extended warranty and where what who will/can honor the work

CBR310 12-01-2004 09:52 AM

Rancher Purchase - Help!

I got my 04 in august with a warn 2.5 winch and a cycle county plow for 5100 out the door. I think your price is steep I would shop around some more. I think honda honors any warranty, they just might put it on the back burner for awhile. What if you buy a quad with the warranty and have to move to a diff state? I suggest staying far away from that honda dealer cause they dont sound trustworthy.

buckweet1234 12-01-2004 05:41 PM

Rancher Purchase - Help!

i got mine for 4153......2005 model.....
im a big guy...270 plus.....great power,will take me anywhere.
great machine.
buckweet

bullgator 12-01-2004 06:57 PM

Rancher Purchase - Help!

I have a 02 rancher 4x4 ES and I love it I could not have pick a better bike it is a perfect all around bike.It gose through the mud like not'en also is fast enough to get you there you need to go also is strong enough to pull and push all you need to do. trust me I tried it I pulled a 16 foot trail with 200 cinderblocks on it and it pulled it with no problem.