Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

First Service/Break-in ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 05:57 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Service/Break-in ??

Hey all, I just recently purchased a 2005 Honda Rancher Manual 350 and have been breaking it in according to http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm by varying the RPMs, driving it hard with short burts of speed, and it's been running great thus far. My only worry was that I got stuck in a mud pit for about 30-45 minutes and the bike was idling for a bit of time during that, and was also revving higher than I would have liked in first gear while trying to get out of the pit; although I'm not talking full throttle pulls.

I am worried that I might have hurt the quad because I only had around 4 hours at the time on it. Should it be okay?

My other question is regarding the first service, I currently have around 7-8 hours on the quad and i'm almost finished with the first tank of gas, this weekend I am taking the quad up to a big national forrest, and plan to put roughly 5-10 hours on the quad. Is it to early to get it serviced? Should I service it before i take it up there?

Thanks!

Old 12-22-2004, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider

I wouldnt worry about it that much. You never know those high rpms and higher temps from sitting still could have helped break in the cams and valvetrain as long as u didnt like hold it wot it should not have hurt it.

Old 12-22-2004, 07:04 PM
Pro Rider

Your quad was already broke in 3.5 hours before. Change the oil and drive it.

Old 12-23-2004, 12:51 AM
Pro Rider

Your ATV is fine, have fun this weekend and get it to the dealer as soon as you get back.

Old 12-23-2004, 09:53 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On a new bike, I do my first oil change at 1-2 hrs. This gets all the metal shavings etc. out of the system right away (you are to late already!). I then change again at 10 and 20 hrs. My usual oil change interval on the Rancher is about 20 hrs.