Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Upgrade headlights on 400EX?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2000, 02:18 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone increased the candle power on their EX yet without replacing/rewinding the stator?

I know the EX isn't using all the juice it produces. I've done some calculations and determined that I can beef my lighting up to the limit of dual 45 Watt bulbs.

I guess what I am really searching for is an answer to what my options may be. Does anyone know? Remember, I would like to avoid the task of messing with my stator. Thanks in advance for any helpful replies...and not creating any heated arguments.

Old 09-12-2000, 04:08 AM
Trailblazer

I’m looking to do the same thing and this is what I’ve planed so far:
(Be advised my setup is not going to be cheap!)

Stock output = 147w (at half throttle: 5000rpm)
Needed to charge battery = 48w
Tail light = 5w
Power left for lights = 94w

For my setup I am replacing the front fender to eliminate the stock lights. I’m going to run two 50w lights (one flood and one spot) mounted on a new handlebar clamp. I’m thinking about getting LazerStar lights but Ricky Stator’s dual setup looks good to. Both LazerStar and Ricky Stator sell a polished aluminum handlebar clamp that replaces the stock clamps for mounting the lights. I want to wire them to the stock switch where low beam is the flood and high beam is both flood and spot. If I want to cruse around for long period of time at low rmp’s I can just switch one light off and not drain my battery. In the future I’ll have Ricky Stator rewind my stator and then add two more lights behind my AC front bumper. I ride primarily at Glamis so I will angle one, if not both, front lights down.

[green]$$$$$$[/green]
LazerStar Ricky’s lights
(2) Lights = 151 (2) Lights = 219
H.B. Clamp = 73.50 H.B. Clamp = 0 (comes with lights)
Maier fender = 95 Maier fender = 95

Total = [red]$319.50[/red] Total = [red]$314[/red]

The HID option (if you have plenty of [green]$$$[/green]):
BajaDesigns sells a HID setup with a 35w bulb for $355. This package has the stuff to run the bulb and the bulb, that’s it so there’s no light housing. Also I’d want two bulbs but I don’t have a price for the second bulb. You still have to buy or find housings and get the new front fender. These lights come with a H4 conversion mounting adapter so you could put them in the stock lights but then they don’t turn with the bars. Then there’s the flat spot at the bottom of the beam pattern because of how the stock lights are recessed. Plus I already ordered my new white fenders. Anybody have any ideas on light housings? I really don’t like the look of bulky 6” housing and I feel they are more prone to damage. I wish LazerStar would hurry up and finish the HID setup they say they are designing.

The cheap rout:
You could just replace your stock 30/30w H4 halogen bulb with a higher wattage but that wouldn’t be any fun.

Web Sites
LazerStar
RickyStator
BajaDesigns

Old 09-14-2000, 01:39 AM
Trailblazer

Anybody have any better ideas than mine or anything to add? I know somebody has to have upgraded the crappy stock lights.

Old 09-14-2000, 09:02 AM
Range Rover

He he he, Fixxxer78.....too funny. I've posted a similar post a couple of months ago, but didn't get many replies. I don't think many people have really modified the lights yet, hence the lack of replies.

I know my easiest answer is to upgrade my stator, but damnit, I just can't justify the costs with the light increase.

I figure, after all is said and done, I would probably have close to $300 in lighting equipment. With this much money, I'd expect to be riding through Wrigley's Field on a hot summer's night.

Old 09-16-2000, 01:40 AM
Trailblazer

For the love of God somebody say something, anything! Please even a yeah that sounds good or no that setup would suck. Even a damn that’s to much money, which of course is probably the reason nobody has upgraded the lights yet I assume.

Hey Brian, in my setup with the two 50w lights you do not have to rewind your stator but it’s still $320 and can drain the battery at low rpm’s. Can you believe Ricky said after the rewind you only gain 50w over stock and you might have to get a new rectifier/regulator. That sucks!

Ricky said: new output=300w (which the stock rectifier can’t handle)
- rectification from ac to dc(30%)=200w
- battery charging(about 50w)=150w

If you want the most candlepower with the stock stator than get two 50w HID bulbs and you would have the equivalent of 500w. Can you say “like riding through Wrigley's Field on a hot summer's night” and all you had to do was empty you bank account!

Old 09-17-2000, 01:38 AM
Pro Rider

What I did with my Bayou 220 is that I added on a 55 watt halogen car fog light onto the top of the fender on my 220. The entire setup cost me a whole $30 too!! one car fog light is plenty as it shines around 100 ft in front of you? Plenty of time to see what's coming up in front of you. And that way alls you have to do is set up the light instead of rewinding your stator. (try to get one of the lights that you would use on a truck as fog lights, as they will be more durable to limbs and other things smacking them.)

Old 09-19-2000, 10:01 AM
Range Rover

Thanks Fixxxer, appreciate the input.