Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

ITP Tire Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 03:01 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ITP Tire Problem

I ordered a set of C 6 rims (nice) and 25" ATR'S pre mounted for my 05 rancher AT, guess what the back ones are a full inch taller than the fronts. I'm worried that this will screw up my drive train in 4wd. They say it's not a problem, I have not put them on yet as I'm working with ITP. They came from ATV direct and someone might have blown em up too much while seating the bead. I checked em with 5psi What do you think, is this too much of a variation?

Old 01-19-2005, 03:43 AM
Pro Rider
Default ITP Tire Problem

the rims or the tires are one inch taller?

Old 01-19-2005, 07:17 AM
Trailblazer
Default ITP Tire Problem

The tires, if it were the rims I'd swap em out. Seems it's easier for them to tell me what I don't want to hear vs sending me a perfectly matched set of tires, ie all the same size. BTW the 2 front ones were different heights wich caused my bike to pull hard to one side, there in the process of taking care of that but then comes the issue of the rears being different than the front.
What a hassle!

Old 01-19-2005, 09:43 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ITP Tire Problem

I have the 25" ATR's on both my Ranchers, and the height is the same front and rear. But, one set is newer than the other, and the rears are somewhat narrower than the older ones. Manufacturers change specs sometimes, and if you don't get a matched pair, they may not be the same. ITP has been good to me in the past. Keep trying with them.

Old 01-19-2005, 10:12 AM
LTZ
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ITP Tire Problem

Try the manufacturer if ATVDirect is no help or send them back for a refund and buy them elsewhere. Most good places will exchange if your not satisfied.....

Old 01-19-2005, 01:16 PM
Pro Rider
Default ITP Tire Problem

I hate to tell you guys but that is pretty much a common problem with all tires. I would bet money that the stock tires are not EXACTLY the same height either. (You can go down to the local Honda shop and see that fronts and rears are almost always different from the factory) The problem is you got different widths for fronts and rears didn't you? Theres no way they can get the molds EXACTLY the same and a "matched set" only works when tires are the same size (height x width x rim size) and come from the same mold.

My advise: Run less air in the rears and put them on and enjoy. Your fighting a battle not worth fighting!

Old 01-19-2005, 01:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default ITP Tire Problem

I would check with ITP. If you still have the old tires on see if they are about the same height front to rear. If one is taller than the other I would think that it would mess up your trans and it will cost you big bucks to fix. Don't do anything with them till you get an anwer from ITP, not from the place that you bought them from. they will be just like a good used car salesman, say anything to make the sale.

Old 01-19-2005, 02:09 PM
Pro Rider
Default ITP Tire Problem

If you want more advise, go to highlifters forumn and ask the same question. You'll hear from guys that are running the same tires and you can ask them if they are having problems. Whats ITP going to do other than offer to refund your money? Theres no way they can know how big your rear tires are without actually seeing them. And I would bet that most of the new ones they have in stock will not match in height. These guys on here are giving good advise, but the truth of it is the stock tires will not measure the same. 1" of difference will not be noticed from front to rear. (heck my Super Sawmper Vampires are almost 2" difference in height) NASCAR goes through this and those guys check hundreds of tires just to find 2 that are exactly the same height. ATV tires are no where near the tolerances of NASCAR tires. If it bothers you that much, the only way to get them exact is to get the same size front and rear. (I mean height x width x rim)

Old 01-19-2005, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider
Default ITP Tire Problem

They over inflated your tire with out straping it first to get it on the bead. If you do not strap them and over inflate them they will streach and be differnt sizes. They are now junk and you can throw them away. You will have vibration problems over 25 mph.with them because of this.
I learned this on the first set of ATR's I mounted in the my shop. I took the lost and gave my customer four new tires. I straped them the next time and they all came out the same.
That is why you do not mail order tires. Tires are expensive and if you have a problem you want to be able to talk to a person face to face.

Old 01-20-2005, 12:07 AM
Trailblazer
Default ITP Tire Problem

Thanks Harw,
ITP sent me 2 new front tires and wheels, they are a perfect match. The rears were always the same size to each other. After final measurements the rears are 1/2" taller than the front so no big deal at this point, I'll just spin em a little to shave off that 1/2" and go with it. Thinking about it it would actually be only 1/4" all the way around if I laid one tire over the other. So I guess I only have to spin off a 1/4"!
Next time I will take your advice and buy locally, would a motorcycle shop hook me up? AND FYI my oem dirt hooks were and inch and a half taller in the rear! BTW, Brett at ITP was very helpful with my scituation unlike ATV Direct, AKA eastern kentucky tire! NOT
Happy Trails![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: ITP Tire Problem