Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2000 Rancher ES won't move when in gear.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 02:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Rancher ES won't move when in gear.

I hope someone can help me. I have a 2000 Rancher ES with about 4500 miles on it. My kids where riding it in the yard when it stopped shifting, it would still go untill they stopped the bike and that is as far as it went agian. The ES has a hard time getting it into gear but it somewhat works. I can shift though them with the manual shifter with some resistance. With the engine running going into gear I get a little hop and the bike with not move, It strains to go and it will bogg down and shut off if I give it more gas. What problem could this be? How hard will this be to repair?

Sorry so long I hope I included all the info you need.

Thanks Mike

Old 02-22-2005, 04:24 PM
Trailblazer

[quote]
Originally posted by: muddymike
I hope someone can help me. I have a 2000 Rancher ES with about 4500 miles on it.

WOW 4500 miles, is that a one owner?? Id say you got your money's worth..
I have heard of them locking up with the ES....

Old 02-22-2005, 04:29 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Welcome to the forums.
Lets start with the easy stuff. Hows the oil? Changed lately? got enough on the dipstick? Clutch ever been adjusted?
Could it be out of gas?This would account for the strains to go, and shuts down with more than idle. Try reserve position?

Old 02-22-2005, 04:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yep. 4500 miles I bought it off the floor and have never had any trouble with it and I have really punished it.
hondabuster

"Lets start with the easy stuff. Hows the oil? Changed lately? got enough on the dipstick? Clutch ever been adjusted?
Could it be out of gas?This would account for the strains to go, and shuts down with more than idle. Try reserve position?"

Thanks for the welcome.

I did the easy stuff, I changed the oil, I always keep the schedule changes. The oil level was fine when it stopped. The gas in plenty suppy. The motor runs great, Just put it in to gear and it will sit there and run give it gas to go and nothing. It does seem like it strains and tries to move. I also did try adjusting the clutch but it really didn't change anything.

Mike

Old 02-22-2005, 05:00 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I believe the clutch is adjusted the same as my foreman. Loosen the nut, turn the screw, ccw, til it hits resistance, then back off,cw, 90 degrees(1/4 turn), hold the screw from moving and tighten the nut. Do this with a warm motor, and the motor off.
Will it rev freely in nuetral? Could the brakes be full of mud or rusty? can you easily push it by hand in neutral?

Old 02-22-2005, 05:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: hondabuster
I believe the clutch is adjusted the same as my foreman. Loosen the nut, turn the screw, ccw, til it hits resistance, then back off,cw, 90 degrees(1/4 turn), hold the screw from moving and tighten the nut. Do this with a warm motor, and the motor off.
Will it rev freely in nuetral? Could the brakes be full of mud or rusty? can you easily push it by hand in neutral?
I did a little of that, I loosened the nut fully and turn the screw it was very hard to turn either way so I turned it one full turn and tried it but no difference except it seem the ES was able to change gears a tad better. Yes it rev freely in nuetral. and the brakes are one of the frist things I checked.

Mike

Old 02-22-2005, 05:26 PM
Elite Pro Rider

The nut only needs to be backed off, enough to turn the screw. Sounds like its not adjusted right.
Loosen the nut, and turn it counter clockwise, until you feel resistance, and go back clockwise that 1/4 turn. If you turned it one full turn, thats quite a bit. If you feel alot of resistance, all the time, then something isnt right, inside the case.

Old 02-22-2005, 07:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am feeling resistance all the time cw or ccw. So much in fact I had to regrip and really use force to turn it.

I pulled the engine out of the frame where I could get to it. I figure there is something broken or loose inside. I have not opened up yet, I am a little nervous to do so with never having worked on this type of clutch/transmission.

Old 02-22-2005, 09:47 PM
Pro Rider

buy the repair manual on, ebay they help tons, and have good details on how to fix them

Old 02-22-2005, 10:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: LittleBill
buy the repair manual on, ebay they help tons, and have good details on how to fix them
Thanks, I have the service manual just hoping somebody could tell me what I should be looking for.

Quick Reply: 2000 Rancher ES won't move when in gear.