Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Recon or Bear-tracker which is best

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2000, 04:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello folks,
I've never owned an ATV, and am looking to get one for me and my boys(teenagers).

I'm looking to get a UTILITY ATV for the deer lease and around the house to pull a trailer. On paper the bear-tracker is better. Any one have any real world experiences/comparisons?? If the beartracker is just as reliable, it looks to be the better buy. Probably get a drive out price of 3500.00

any info would be appreciated.

Thanx,

David

Old 09-22-2000, 04:59 PM
Pro Rider

We looked at Yamaha's before buying our Hondas. The Kodiak & Bear tracker were the models we test drove. The Kodiak is nice (almost purchased one) the Bear tracker is under powered when compared to the Recon. If you test drive them both you will see which is better! We have had our Recon for 7 months & zero problems, not even a loose rivet! The Recon handles very good. The one draw back is for work, you will have to purchase a hitch, the Recon doesn't have one as standard equipment. This is a easy fix, after market hitches are around $20. You will not find a better 250 machine out there. It has a peppy engine!

Old 09-22-2000, 05:53 PM
Range Rover

I've had a little experience on the beartracker and thought it was a nice machine, and although I've never ridden a recon, I've heard nothing but good things about them.

I would recommend at least test riding both to see which one fits you best.

good luck

Old 09-22-2000, 07:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Snowshark,

Do you know what the towing rating is for the RECON??? I think the beartracker is 728 pounds.

David

Old 09-22-2000, 07:58 PM
Pro Rider

The Recon is the best 250cc ATV that I have ever had the privilage of riding.
I bought mine in 98 and the only thing I have had to replace is the rear tires.
This is an awsome little bike, you will know what I am talking about when you test drive one.
And please dont buy anything untill you drive the Recon.

Old 09-22-2000, 09:15 PM
Range Rover

I have drove both.Ended up buying the recon.Just one hell of a lot more fun.

Old 09-22-2000, 11:33 PM
Range Rover

Owned a bear-tracker for about 2 months. Severely underpowered and tipsy as heck on hillsides. The reverse looks easy, but is a real pain the @ss. I have not owned a Recon, but have driven one and it has more power & a lower center of gravity. Go with the Recon.

Old 09-23-2000, 10:16 AM
Range Rover

I have both so I can be somewhat objective. The Beartracker is a fine machine. It is a bit faster then the Recon as far as top speed. The Recon is a bit quicker taking off. The layout for reverse on the Beartracker is IMHO quite a pain, and maybe dangerous, I don't like the idea of letting go of the handle bar to put in reverse. The Beartracker has adjustible preload on the rear shock which is nice when one rider is 120# and the other is 250#. The Recon has no adjustment. The beartracker has front disc brakes the Recon does not. Beartracker has much higher rack capacity. The Beartracker feels and looks bigger. On paper the Beartracker wins hands down over the Recon. Ground clearence, suspension travel, fuel tank ect, the Beartracker has better numbers. But on the trail, in the mud and up the hill I pick the Recon every time. I bought both the same day, and I like the Beartracker its a lot of fun to drive and seems pretty well built. But the Honda just feels better.
Good luck deciding, but I recommend you buy both so you don't have to share turns riding as much :-)

Old 09-23-2000, 08:50 PM
Trailblazer

i say the recon by far if your going to be doing any trail riding. but if you just going to work with it i say the beartracker

Old 09-24-2000, 10:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a friend who owns a beartracker and it is only a year old and the muffler fell off, the reverse handle is broke, and it has been in the shop for something about the axle. So I would recommend that you buy a recon.

honda is the best

Quick Reply: Recon or Bear-tracker which is best