Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

14 tooth front sprocket

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2000, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I changed my front sprocket last week. At first I loved it! I was pulling wheelies in all the gears in the driveway. The trail ride was a different story, I keep hitting the rev limiter in 2nd and 3rd real bad. I was able to run a higher gear through the woods and still loft the front end up over stuff. It's great for climbing hills too. But overall, i'm not too pleased with it. It added a little bottom end, but i'd rather have the speed back. It kinda took some of the hit of the top end away too. And i can only top out at about 55-57 miles per hour now. Yeah for the twenty bucks, it's a decent mod. I'll change it back though when i get a exhaust for it. It was worth the try, I might look into a bigger back sprocket for it instead. Just my two cents worth on it. Anyone else have any thing about it? I've heard it really helps out in the dunes. It'll allow you to lug up the hills better. I'm thinking though, with a pipe and proper jetting, it might still be better than the stock 15. I don't know, is anyone running the sprocket on theirs with a pipe out there?

Old 09-23-2000, 01:55 AM
Pro Rider

What rear tires are you running? I run 20" Holeshots and 20" RAZRs (depending on the terrain), My GPS top speed is 64.6 with a 14T front....

It's just one of those compromises. You can't have it all. Use the 14 where you are going to need extra torque and closer gearing. Use the 15 where it is more open and high speed. The right gearing for the application is what you are shooting for. There is no one setup that is perfect for everything

Old 09-24-2000, 12:23 AM
Pro Rider

Gabe hit it all.. I run a 14/39 for the dunes and 15/38 (stock) when I ride MX..

Old 09-24-2000, 01:53 AM
Trailblazer

It does make a difference in the dunes. I have the WB e-series exhaust with 18 disks, WB CDI box, K&N with no air box lid and 8 paddle Haulers. I was a little disappointed with the top end when I tested it on flat ground (in front of Gecko campground). It’s like it wants to keep going but it can’t. I got over this quickly when navigating the treacherous terrain that is Glamis. I’ve never found a dune I couldn’t concur but now I can get up them even easier. For those of you with a bit more meat (or fat!) on your bones than me, top end don’t mean jack if you keep bogging down before you ever get there.

Gabe got it right you can’t have it all and you need to gear for the riding you will be doing. If I am going to do some open desert riding I switch back to the 15t.

Hey Skunky how much more does the half gear drop on the rear help?

Old 09-24-2000, 04:27 AM
Trailblazer

I have 2 400EX's. Both are mostly stock, but one has a 13 tooth front. I ride MX and trails and can say the 13T is a big change for the best... huge acceleration difference. Top end is off almost 10 mph, but it's no big deal to me.

When are all you losers gonna stop bragging about all the stuff you put on your quads? It's really dumb and annoying... grow up.

Old 09-24-2000, 05:51 AM
Pro Rider

Referring to people as 'losers' is not the most effective way to get your point across. I think the parts list is helpful in that, if you are wondering about a certain aftermarket part, and you see that a person has that part, you can ask them about it. Otherwise, you'd never know who to ask about it.

Old 09-24-2000, 09:09 AM
Trailblazer

motorhead:

i totally agree, i many times look at, or even ask peopel about their mods, so i can see what combinations are being used.

Old 09-24-2000, 11:24 AM
Pro Rider

I have the stock 20" tires on it. Yeah, overall i think i will be putting the 15 back on when i get my exhaust and stuff. I guess the trails i run are alittle more open than i thought. THanks for replying guys. Sucks end of season is winding down here in pa! Oh well, just gotta get the wrench out and soup that quad up now!

Old 09-24-2000, 02:37 PM
Pro Rider

I am gonna do it twice for you MadDogg.. I hope yoou are not foamin at the mouth for these mods...I think you need to get High..plus an e-mail..
00400EX, WB CDI, FMF PowerCore 4-2, FMF PowerBomb Header, K&N AirFilter w/prefilter, UNI Filter, no air box lid, Dynojet kit 165Main, 20x11x8 Shreaders in the rear, ITP Beadlock 8" rear rims, FMF BFB 909 Bars (Pro Taper), Pro Design Power Shifter, DG Front Bumper, DG Full Skid Plate, DG Rear Skid Plate, DG Nerf Bars, Outerwear Shock Covers, Renthal Drive Train (Renthal 14/15 tooth, Renthal ultra light 38/39 tooth, Renthal 520 R-1 Works Chain) Pro Design Kill Switch, Skat-Trak 20x11-9 8 paddle, RPM +2 a-arms, RPM +2 Swingarm (both powdered red), Durablue +2 eliminator rear axle, Durablue axle carrier, Durablue Anti-Fade Brake Carrier/Lock Nut, +4 Custom Braided Stainless Steel Brake lines, WB BP Block Off, Curtis Sparks Ignition Key, CR250 Cluch Lever and Perch, TCS Front and Rear Shocks, Curtis Sparks Air box Screen, Custom Lights/Starter Switches
www.davesquadshop.com

Old 09-24-2000, 06:34 PM
Trailblazer

you can still ride in the snow... we never get any big snows anymore....

Quick Reply: 14 tooth front sprocket