Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

450r vs. Yammy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 11:16 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 450r vs. Yammy?

DesertViper guy...I think I know you. You're welcome to ride my 450R anytime. It's MUCH more comfortable than the YFZ. From my experience at the dunes, the YFZ is a tad faster than the R. During one hill shooting race at the back side of Sand Hollow, I lost to a piped YFZ by about 4-5 lengths, but I was pretty much stock other than a UNI and jetted. I also out weighed him by atleast 40 lbs.

As for the kick start, it's no big deal to me anymore; starts 1st kick 9/10 times. Sucks if you're on an uphill and have to start, but that's only been one time for me.

They say the average guy will be faster on a 450R, but the pros are typically faster on the Yammi. Also, I got the R for almost 1,000 cheaper than I could get the YFZ around here, FWIW.

Old 04-03-2005, 11:30 AM
Range Rover
Default 450r vs. Yammy?

Let me just tell you my group of riders all have different quads ( Raptor, 450r, YFZ, and more) I'm telling you what that 450r stock is one fast bike. Rator has more hp but I think the 450r suspension makes up with the weight transfer off the start. The 450r is hard to beat. On dirt 450r wins on the track Raptor wins. As for the 450 YFZ I would only want that for racing. In the trails it's not the greatest bike. Maybe it's just the riders. They might need some help. Remember though that 450r is a high rev bike. It does suck to kick start up a hill. LOL Found that out! Peace in the MiddleEast

Old 04-03-2005, 10:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 450r vs. Yammy?

The R has much more torque than the yammy, as far as acceleration the yami feels faster cause of the powerband, truth is the R is faster. Mine is stock with a 13t front, removed spark arrest. I've raced z400, hrc 450, 3yfz's, and 2banshees, The truth is if you can ride you will win. The closest was the other hrc 450r. Trust me I've raced a fully mod. 89trx250r for 4years in pro A. My R would destroy my new 450. I know from experience its how you ride when you race. The quads I've mentioned were all raced on pavement of approx. 1500ft.drag. The 450r wheelies to easy with a 13t but is good for woods and hillclimbs. It is the best quad to buy. Just take a look at the frame geometry and compare to a 250r's. I'm putting a desert 250r tank, plastic, and seat on mine. Thats how they should come for 2006.

Old 04-03-2005, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider
Default 450r vs. Yammy?

Originally posted by: trxrevolution
The R has much more torque than the yammy, as far as acceleration the yami feels faster cause of the powerband, truth is the R is faster. Mine is stock with a 13t front, removed spark arrest. I've raced z400, hrc 450, 3yfz's, and 2banshees, The truth is if you can ride you will win. The closest was the other hrc 450r. Trust me I've raced a fully mod. 89trx250r for 4years in pro A. My R would destroy my new 450. I know from experience its how you ride when you race. The quads I've mentioned were all raced on pavement of approx. 1500ft.drag. The 450r wheelies to easy with a 13t but is good for woods and hillclimbs. It is the best quad to buy. Just take a look at the frame geometry and compare to a 250r's. I'm putting a desert 250r tank, plastic, and seat on mine. Thats how they should come for 2006.
Ever come to the Oregon dunes?
I'd like to take you up on a couple of races up comp hill. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-03-2005, 10:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 450r vs. Yammy?

sorry i don't ride in the dunes i'm all the way cross country. I think it must be cool to play in a big sandbox like that, but i grew up racing through trees with only inches to spare on each side. So let me ask if your up for race. It takes a little more skill to pin 4th or 5th in the woods than it does in the dunes. But good luck racing whoever, i know the yami is fast.

Old 04-03-2005, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider
Default 450r vs. Yammy?

Originally posted by: trxrevolution
sorry i don't ride in the dunes i'm all the way cross country. I think it must be cool to play in a big sandbox like that, but i grew up racing through trees with only inches to spare on each side. So let me ask if your up for race.
No thanks, I'll stick to my sandbox! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
The Honda may be faster (as in top speed), but I am pretty sure the Yamaha is more powerful.
I've raced several at the dunes, and have yet to lose to one. Not saying there aren't fast TRX450's out there, because I know there are. However, stock vs stock, and mod for mod, my money is going with the YFZ.

I remember racing a guy at Florence who weighed about 50 lbs less than me, and had a cam.
My YFZ was just stock with a pipe, airbox lid removed and re-jetted. I was consistently beating him. He didn't believe all I had was a slip-on.

As far as MX goes, I am sure it is a closer match, and would depend on the riders more than anything, but in the sand, it is a different story. Raw HP is what puts you ahead of the other guy.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-04-2005, 08:14 AM
Pro Rider
Default 450r vs. Yammy?

Originally posted by: 450r
the yfz might be a hair faster ,but have you ridden one? its the most uncomfortable thing ive ever ridden. the honda is faster off the line, better brakes, better shocks, and 2006 is supposed to have elrc. start from what ive been hearing . so if you want to ride all day or just for an hour its up to you (or him) i stick to riding red. the fastest bikes ive seen at the drags are trx470,480r's, that and the big boy raptors.
LOL! the 450r is quicker off the line eh....interesting how its always behind the yfz, better shocks too eh? oh that must be why the yfz's are always losing MX, oh wait they arnt!

Old 04-05-2005, 12:09 AM
Trailblazer
Default 450r vs. Yammy?

Compression ratio of the yfz is 11.9:1 and the 450r is 10.5:1 so the yfz will have a little more bottom end off the line. the yfz also has 3 intake and 2 exhaust valves while the honda has 2 intake and 2 exhaust. Yfz has dual cams while Honda has a single cam. all in all i bought the 450r it has a much better feel.. After adding my rossier pipe, hrc cam, doing some head work, K&N with a open lid my bike is pretty fast. the 10.5:1 ratio of the Honda is lower to the yfz but next week when mine is 13:1 everything will be a different story. My $.02

Old 04-10-2005, 01:57 AM
Range Rover
Default 450r vs. Yammy?

I've seen & been envolved with racing among several 450r's & yfz's both in the sand and on the MX track and have to say that the yfz out of the box will kick the crap out of the 450r. But if you invest the money you save purchasing the 450r over the yfz and put it in the engine(hi comp piston,cams,pipe,etc) you will be kickin the crap out of even modified yfz's. I prefer the 450r & plan on purchasing one in the future. I think its a better ride, the yfz feels like your on a ten speed bike being all hunched over and its so twitchy at high speeds.

Old 04-10-2005, 04:07 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 450r vs. Yammy?

Originally posted by: StillRacinA250r
I've seen & been envolved with racing among several 450r's & yfz's both in the sand and on the MX track and have to say that the yfz out of the box will kick the crap out of the 450r. But if you invest the money you save purchasing the 450r over the yfz and put it in the engine(hi comp piston,cams,pipe,etc) you will be kickin the crap out of even modified yfz's. I prefer the 450r & plan on purchasing one in the future. I think its a better ride, the yfz feels like your on a ten speed bike being all hunched over and its so twitchy at high speeds.
You have no idea what you are talking about when you say the yfz beats the crap out of the 450r stock. You must have no idea what you are talking about. The honda is faster stock, it just not have that 2 stroke midrange that makes the yfz feel so fast. I also love the engine breaking on the honda becuase it barely has any. I have yet to loose to a stock yammi because they are slower stock!!! Now putting mods on i have no idea but you would think that the yammi would b easier to hop up with the 5 valves and double cams.

Quick Reply: 450r vs. Yammy?