Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

250R troubles:(

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 02:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 250R troubles:(

So I recently rebuilt my ATC and now am having troubles, if anyone wants to chime in with opinions on what it could be, please do(and sorry for the double post, but I want to ride and nobody visits the ATC forum anymore) here's what I wrote in another thread

I took it out today, fired it up, let it idle for about a minute and go to take off for the first time, everything seems well until I start getting into the throttle. It sounds like it is missing or something and has no power. It will even bog down and die in 1st if I don't slip the clutch. Now, this motor was completely dissasembled and rebuilt with new bearings and seals, crank, top-end, etc... I was in a hurry and just threw my carb that had been sitting for years on it without cleaning it, could it have gotten clogged up or something. It idles fine, I'm riding in the same elevation as I was before I rebuilt it. My only idea's are that the carb is clogged, possibly spark plug related(I used some crappy Autolite from Wal-Mart that fit the threads and wasn't very long) or somehow, and I don't know how this is possible, the timing is off. Come on guys, help me reresurrect my trike please

Anything I'm missing as far as what it could be? Oh, it still has compression and obviously is getting spark, so it has to be fuel related right?

Old 03-11-2005, 03:08 PM
Pro Rider

Did you repaint the frame? Did you grind the mounts so you would have a good ground?

Old 03-11-2005, 03:23 PM
Pro Rider

Your problem could be so many things.... I'd start by doing a leak down test to check for air leaks. If it will hold 6lbs or pressure for 5 minutes you're ok.

Then i'd focus my attention on the electrical system and the carb.

Most of the time when i see a rebuilt 2-stroke with your problem its either an air leak or a wire was pinched near the coil during reassembly.... but like i said above your symptoms are common to many problems.

Old 03-11-2005, 03:33 PM
Range Rover

Dont forget to check your reeds. They could be cracked.

Old 03-11-2005, 05:19 PM
Pro Rider

Well, got the right plug for it and it seems to run a little better now. It still does not have the power it used to. I'm almost thinking that my clutch is slipping because it will rev through the gears, just doesn't have the acceleration that it used to, but it still bogs on take off. I cleaned out the carb to, there was some debris in my main. My float level needs adjusted to, it's leaking fuel out the overflow but I don't understand how that affects fuel entering the engine, but maybe it does. Ohhhhhh I had to switch to a clamp on filter because my box was fouled up, and I didn't rejet so maybe thats what it is, I dunno. I thought that I might have an airleak, but usually eratic idle problems come along with that, right?

So here's a list of whats changed since before I rebuilt it
New wiseco piston-.0030 over
Clamp on filter
different(but stock) expansion chamber. The only things that make sense are bad jetting or lke I said before, worn, slipping clutch. It'll rev out in neutral fine.

Harw-did not touch any of the wiring except the three plugs from the stator
Speedbump- Checked reeds while motor was apart, they aren't cracked and still completely close.

Edit: I did a plug chop also, and it had some tan spots and some darker area's. Should I switch to 93 octane, I thought I heard a pinging sound but I am not sure about that.

Old 03-11-2005, 06:09 PM
Pro Rider

Pinging is always bad news... WHen it's lean they will detonate, and depending on if you've got the stock head or not... higher compression/squish velocities need higher octane fuels... I'd always run the good gas, it's cheap insurance (Getting less cheap all the time)
I'd be looking at your jetting... and if your losing fuel out the overflow... you've still got problems that need corrected before it's going to run decent.

Old 03-11-2005, 06:20 PM
Pro Rider

I have a stock head, and I didn't mill it. I did however, lay it on a flat table, which I checked with a straightedge and feeler gauge in several area's to be sure it was completely flat, and laid down some really fine sandpaper and using a circular pattern rubbed the head on the sandpaper. I did this to remove old gasket material only, but could I have actually removed metal, and enough at that to increase the compression? I'm getting little frustrated with myself because I made a great big checklist of things I needed to do before I rode and really wish I would have stuck to my plan. This may be going out on a limb, but could something be binding in my tranny causing the bike to have slow acceleration? I have all 6 gears plus nuetral, so I am pretty sure I put it together right, but maybe I missed something?

Old 03-11-2005, 08:04 PM
Pro Rider

go up a size on your main jet and see if it gets any better, you said you installed a .0030 over piston and a clamp on filter, so your engine now needs more fuel...