Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

ES? AT? ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 10:50 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ES? AT? ??

Also, is there a gear indicator with Electronic Shift? And does the engine automatically rev to match speed when downshifting?

Old 03-15-2005, 11:55 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ES? AT? ??

Originally posted by: MWfromVA
Also, is there a gear indicator with Electronic Shift? And does the engine automatically rev to match speed when downshifting?
Yes, the center guage has an LCD gear display.

The system does not change the engine speed, its just like any other auto-clutch manual except you push a button instead of moving a lever with your foot.

Old 03-16-2005, 12:02 AM
Trailblazer
Default ES? AT? ??

I had the rancher 350 es b4 I traded for the AT and I totally agree that the AT does not have nearly as much low end as the rancher 350 es 4x4 has. Why is that? It seems like there are many more moving parts when I rev the engine with the AT and I assume that is where the power loss is? any replies on this matter would be great.

Old 03-16-2005, 07:37 PM
Pro Rider
Default ES? AT? ??

I am a auto mechanic but not an atv mechanic or engineer. I would think one of the main reasons the rancher 350 would have more low end torque may be due to the fact that it has actual gear ratio transmission with an automatic clutch only. From what I have read and seen on the automatic transmission models like the rancher 400at we have is that it is actually like a hydraulic pump! Thats why it takes a little extra to get started. The momemtum has to increase to shift to a different point and rpms have to build to build enough pressure in the transmission, or hydraulic pump, to get it moving. Thats just my understanding of it in my own reasoning and may not be correct at all. I like the automatic though due to the fact that my girlfriend can concentrate on handling, turning stopping or manuevering without having to worry about what gear she is in at the same time. Pretty neat machines.