Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Hand guards on Rancher

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2000, 06:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Purchased Maier hand guards for my new rancher from Cabelas. Not sure if I really like them. Seems to get in the way of the reverse button. Plus I tried to adjust the brake levers only to strip the screw heads. I don't think they fit like I thought. Any input into this? Thanks for the responses.

Old 09-27-2000, 07:51 PM
Pro Rider

Damn i was gettin ready to order those....glad someone stopped me. Is it really that bad? What other handguaards are out there for the rancher?? I need some bad. If you coulda seen my hands after my last ride.....

Anybody have the Moose Handguards that are in Dennis Krik? I'll go with them if they fit better.

Old 09-28-2000, 11:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

Cartman308,
They aren't horrible by any means, but I think my problem is the angle of my brake levers. They seem custom molded per the equipment of the Rancher. I tried to change the angle and started stripping the screws. If I could have done this successfully, I may be feeling better. I did ride it last night and was able to shift into reverse without too much hassle. I see where it could be a problem with gloves. If I keep them, I may cut out the area around the reverse **** to make it more accessible.

Old 09-28-2000, 02:13 PM
Pro Rider

after flipping mine a couple times i doubt the levers are in the factory positions. I'm probably still gonna order them unless someone hase the Moose and likes them better cart

Old 09-28-2000, 07:47 PM
Trailblazer

If you want to get rid of the need to push in the foolish red button for reverse, just push the red button down, pull the lever in and jamb a small piece of clothes pin in there to keep it engaged. I got my red button by passed a week after I bought the quad. Sure is nice not to have to use the button especially on the es. You can shift from first to neutral then to reverse without the need to use the button. The good thing about it is you still cannot shift into neutral above 2 mph. Sure makes quick turning around in tight places alot easier.

Old 09-29-2000, 02:37 PM
Trailblazer

Terry-

Seems like a more desirable "fix" for simplifying a shift to reverse is to effectively shorten the cable that pulls the reverse lock lever in the transmission. This is accomplished by simply adjusting the free-play in the cable (where it is attached to the left-hand brake lever) by the necessary amount. This method eliminates the need for any additional “parts” that could fall off.

Old 09-29-2000, 04:37 PM
Pro Rider

that little red button doesn't really bother me......yet. I just ordered the Maier handguards.

Old 09-29-2000, 05:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Cart,
After you get them, please let me know what you think. Curious to know how they fit for you. Good luck with the hamburger hands.

Old 09-29-2000, 07:07 PM
Trailblazer

I have been wanting to get the handguards also for my rancher. I have seen in Cabelas that they show the Maier handguards. I have been in contact with Maier Manufacturing and they said that they do not make handguards for the Rancher now. But you could use the one`s for the Honda 300 with a little mod. They also do not show or list handguards for the Rancher on their Web site. Check it out , their link is www.maier-mfg.com This could be why your handguards fit the way you say. Hope this info helps. I would like to get the handguards but I`m not going to get one thats not made right to fit.

Old 09-30-2000, 02:44 PM
Pro Rider

If cabelas sends me handguards for a 300 4x4 for my rancher then i will be VERY UPSET!!!! They advertised in their cat.and website that they are for the rancher. If this was a trick to get ride of their overstock then they will get and earfull!!!! I don't like being jerked around!!

bigsky. I'll let ya know something probably by next thursday. That's when they should be coming in. Oh, buy the way the wounds are healing nicely. I don' think the there will be any permanant damage
l8r
cart

Quick Reply: Hand guards on Rancher