Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

1984 Honda TRx200

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 03:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1984 Honda TRx200

Hi All...

I'm a newbie here and to ATV's for the most part.

Any chance of anyone knowing where I can get front shocks for a 1984 TRX200? No dealer has em...I've checked salvage places....nothing.

Also...when I purchased this beater....I took it to a dealer for tune-up and carb rebuild. It still fouls plugs totally out (very black and sooty) after about an hour of total running. Any ideas? Is it carburation? I can only see and have fiddled with the an idle adjustment....

Or....am I looking at bad rings?

Thanks...

Old 04-14-2005, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider

#1, E-bay
#2 compression check and plug check. If compression is ok, then you need to do a proper plug check to see if jetting is off. A 4-stroke shouldn't be fouling plugs like that unless the rings are way shot, or the cab is mis-jetted. Actually, NO quad should be fouling plugs like that, even a 2-stroke if properly jetted.....

Old 04-15-2005, 02:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

My first thought was compression (rings). I've got a snap-on compression tester without the small adapter needed for that size plug. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] So I haven't taken the compression yet. Although, with a new plug, it starts right up and runs fairly well for such a little motor.

I have a long understanding of two strokes due to snowmobiles....basically zero with four strokes.

The carb that is on this machine...is it similar to a snowmobiles, with a needle and main jet? Not sure what you mean by the "Cab being misjetted"....

If I can find the proper adapter for my comp gauge...I guess that is the only way to narrow this down from rookie perspective. If it is carburation....Not sure what to do....a rather highly rated Honda dealer did the supposed carb rebuild...

Thanks for the response...I really do appreciate it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-15-2005, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: tourbuddy
My first thought was compression (rings). I've got a snap-on compression tester without the small adapter needed for that size plug. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] So I haven't taken the compression yet. Although, with a new plug, it starts right up and runs fairly well for such a little motor.

I have a long understanding of two strokes due to snowmobiles....basically zero with four strokes.

The carb that is on this machine...is it similar to a snowmobiles, with a needle and main jet? Not sure what you mean by the "Cab being misjetted"....

If I can find the proper adapter for my comp gauge...I guess that is the only way to narrow this down from rookie perspective. If it is carburation....Not sure what to do....a rather highly rated Honda dealer did the supposed carb rebuild...

Thanks for the response...I really do appreciate it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Sorry, it should have read "carb misjetted", meaning possibly the carburator is not adjusted properly, and or is flowing the incorrect amount of fuel to air ratio.

Have you cleaned and oiled the air cleaner recently?

Old 04-18-2005, 01:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Actually...no. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Clean with what? Gas....or Hot Soapy water? Then...what type of oil? How much oil? I don't have a manual for this one and haven't found anything close...and being a rook....Imafool. Thanks.

Old 04-19-2005, 01:19 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: tourbuddy
Actually...no. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Clean with what? Gas....or Hot Soapy water? Then...what type of oil? How much oil? I don't have a manual for this one and haven't found anything close...and being a rook....Imafool. Thanks.
You can clean it with gas, kerosine, or hot soapy water.
Gas usually works best, but can be a fire hazard. Kerosine works well also, and is a little safer.

Make sure you allow it to completely dry before applying the oil to the filter. Filter oil is best (can get it at your local shop), but you can also use motor oil in a pinch. Just make sure the entire filter is well oiled (keep squeezing the oil into the oil filter to make sure it is evenly covered).

This may help with the fouling of the rings if the cause is the dirty filter.
You seriously need to get a manual though. It will explain how to do everything, and the proper way to do it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-19-2005, 02:45 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds to me like the old Honda finally rattled out the needle set, making it run rich. You can raise the clip on the needle one notch and it will help, but will screw up your carb in another area, like causing a flat spot on bottom end. The real cure for it would to replace the neddle jet set. The needle jet, under the main jet, has gotten wollered out from the needle rattling around after all these years. The needle is prolly worn also. If you accellerate in neutral and notice a black puff out the exhaust, this is normally the problem on the older Hondas, and the needle jet set needs replacement. God old Keihin carb, they are noted for this happening after years of use...

----- Gimpster -----

Old 04-20-2005, 01:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank You's [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] 2fun....Gimpster!

I printed this...will act on it. Filter first...if need be, take it back to the dealer that "rebuilt" the carb and find out if it's the needle jet set.

Old 04-20-2005, 07:28 PM
Pro Rider

No prob. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Lets us know what you find out!

Old 04-27-2005, 03:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

I checked the Air Filter this weekend....looked like new. We only PUTT PUTT around with it on our property looking at stuff....
A friend who is into FourStrokes said he thought it's definately carburation....and seeing as we seldom get out of 2nd gear on it...sometimes 3rd....that that is a major contributing factor.

Got tired of the whole thing. My snomo dealer had a 2000 Beartracker in great shape and reasonable...so we bought it.
The 1984 Collectors item is forsale. Frozen front shocks and all... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: 1984 Honda TRx200