Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Foreman Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2000, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I may be getting a new ATV soon and I have looked around and the 1995-1997 Foreman 400 4x4's seem to be good enough for me. They look nice and look tough!! I just want to ask a couple questions about the Foreman 400......

What kind of Differentials do the Foreman's have??, Are they good for Modifications i.e Lifts.??, Are they full time 4wd??

I also wanted to know...how do you make a Foreman lifted??...do they just put bigger shocks and tires on or is there more to it than that??
(I saw the one on the Highlifter site...that is one sweet Foreman)

Old 10-02-2000, 02:35 AM
Range Rover

The 400 is a very tough machine. As for how to lift one...you can do one of two things, or both. The first being, add a lift kit. This is simply a small bracket that is added to each shock mount to raise the chassis. The second being adding taller tires. When adding both, you can raise it as much as 3"-4". Keep in mind, that adding a lift kit does put more stress on the drivetrain.

Old 10-02-2000, 05:53 AM
Pro Rider

you got the riding conditions to use those mods?

hard packed stuff......better to not have a lift kit

looks cool.....but can be a down right pain....

might be better to spend money on a full length skid plate

Old 10-02-2000, 04:43 PM
Pro Rider

First I need to know...What kind of differential do the foremans have??.
Pudding, you haven't seen my place...I can't drive in half the places where there is mud and water...but your right their is alot of other hard packed trails that the big tires wouldn't be good for...it would be nice to have mods like that though. Maybe a chassis lift would be good enough...or do you think a tire lift is better...wich is softer on the driveterain?

When I get a new quad first thing I'd like get is a winch if it didn't come with one, then maybe a skid plate. I 'm not positive that I'm getting a Foreman but I really like them.

Old 10-02-2000, 04:51 PM
Trailblazer

ATVMAN

Just to add my 2 cents, I just bought a 99 Foreman 450 ES and I absolutely love it, I have taken it just about everywhere. The posters are right when they complain about diff front end but it still will dig three HUGE holes in the ground and it has never gotten me stuck this far. You can't go wrong with a Foreman.

Old 10-02-2000, 06:03 PM
Pro Rider

the foreman's have a limited slip front diff, lockers are available. If you want to see what kind of sweet mods you can get go to www.highlifter.com

Old 10-02-2000, 06:37 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks, but I've allready seen that sweet Foreman on highlifter.com...I'd love to have the Yellow one they have on there. That's where I got the ideas of having a Foreman with the big tires and lift kit.
(FOREMANes...I want a "Foreman 400" just like yours in the yellow, but in a 1995-1998 model and withouth the es.)

Old 10-02-2000, 07:27 PM
Pro Rider

the selling point for me on a bike is its low seat high.....therefore its ability for me to push it hard into corners on trail rides

but i am different to you.....i made an assumption based on the fact you probably ride these trails on your 200sx

yes the diff is limited slip.......i std form you will find it very very hard to do any damage to it
.....the highlifter may put extra strain on the CV's.....also the universal joint and rubber boot on the swingarm pivot.....just a thought

i suppose with a high-lifter you could always take it off (or can you not).....and you can always put the smaller tires back on

Old 10-03-2000, 10:25 PM
Pro Rider

Hey I've pushed the 200sx to it's limits...I've barried it in mud, dunked it in water(not good) and rolled it at least 5 times.

I ride it hard all the time. I think that's why it gets broken alot.

Old 10-05-2000, 12:47 AM
Pro Rider

They should make the 450es with the torque sensing diff like on the ranchers, it really works because when i get stuck in the mud they all turn and when i tie my quad to a big tree that fell down to attempt to pull it (yeah right this thing is 5 feet thick and 200 feet long) it digs 4 holes in the ground all the way to the floorboards and i bottom out!

The foreman is the sweetest quad though, I would love to have a 450es.. yellow, but im happy with what I have.
My input!

Quick Reply: Foreman Questions