Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

05 Foreman 500

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 12:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another new guy

Sorry folks, another new buyer with questions!!! How come there no posts about the 05 Foreman 500 4X4 yet. I'm considering this machine, Manual shift, but all everybody talks about are Rincons, Rubicons, and Ranchers. I'm to old to go fast, dont want all the bells and whistles, and really just want the power. How bout those Foremans???[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 04-25-2005, 01:17 PM
Trailblazer
Default 05 Foreman 500

I have an '04 450 Foreman, and the power is great. The only time I've ever been stuck was trying to drive about 1/4 of a mile through a muddy farm field. I got buried half way up the wheels and wasn't about to go anywhere. I was able to hop off and push it out myself though. I had a huge tree limb that was cracked yesterday, and I tied a rope to one of the branches and the other end to the hitch on my Foreman and pulled it off like it was nothing. The thing I don't like about the '05 Foremans is that Honda replaced a lot of the metal with plastic (eg. skid plates, front end).
Have you already found a place to buy your Foreman? Whatever you do, be sure to shop around. If I'd spent a little more time looking, I probably could've saved myself $500.

Old 04-25-2005, 01:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 05 Foreman 500

I've got two shops within dollars of each other so they must be about rock bottom. I'm trying to wait till Honda comes out with the 06 models and applies Bonus Bucks to the 05's. How's the reliability?? Have any parts fail yet??

Old 04-25-2005, 05:53 PM
Trailblazer
Default 05 Foreman 500

Well, to be honest, I've had a small problem with the electric shift. The other day when I was trying to shift from 2nd to 3rd, it had a slight delay in shifting. Nothing serious, but definitely noticable. It happened twice, and hasn't happened since then. The area around the shift buttons was a little muddy, so I'm hoping that's all it was. Go to abernathycycles.com in Union, TN and see how their prices compare to those of the one's you're looking at. I paid $5,099 for my '04, and about $800 more in sales taxes and fees. Try to find a place with Out-the-door pricing. I could've gotten an '05 at the place I mentioned above for about the same price.

Old 04-25-2005, 09:00 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 05 Foreman 500

The bike is new, so there aren't many out there yet. The Foreman line has a great reputation.

Personally, I would avoid the ES option. One less thing to go wrong. Save yourself $200 too. Might be one in my garage in the near future.

Old 04-26-2005, 12:20 AM
Trailblazer
Default 05 Foreman 500

I just got a 2005 forman 4X4 manual shift ...I like it a lot...it runs well...its my first ATV so I can't compare
it to any other.
Its got about 30 miles on it.
feel free to ask me any questions, I will check back tomorrow.

Old 05-01-2005, 12:24 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default 05 Foreman 500

I like mine fine. Around 25 hours so far. I have noticed that it can be a bit stiff to shift the first time through the gears when it is first started cold... Not bad, just not as easy as usual. Handles and runs well, has a planted feel, comfortable ergos...

I have had no issues with mine, though I got a notice about bringing it in to get the tie rod ends replaced or something.

It does beat you up on rough stuff more than my buddy's Rincon, but I like my transmission better...

Old 05-01-2005, 01:53 AM
Pro Rider
Default 05 Foreman 500

yeah, i have a 04 rancher manual shift and i noticed that it's a little stiff shifting the first few times when you first get riding for the day. i think it's the cold oil being a little thicker that makes things stick a little. most likely a normal thing.

I wanted to get a foreman, but i couldnt afford it and it didnt have the new body style when i was in the market, so i bought a rancher instead. a little lighter, a little less power, but sporty and cocky lookin'. Everybody thought it was a Rincon when i brought it to work in the bed of my pickup [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 05-01-2005, 10:45 AM
Pro Rider
Default 05 Foreman 500

I also have been looking at the 500 Foreman and think it looks to be an excellent value. 500cc, Honda quality, 4x4 and fairly cheap (well as far as Hondas go.) I been being told I should be able to get one for $5900 - 6000K out the door here in WV. I really like the fact it is air and oil colled and it is a manual trans. So much less to go wrong while trail riding. There is nothing I hate more than breaking down 20 miles from anything or having the bike die after driving 3 hours to go riding somewhere with friends. The Foreman line has a GREAT rep. and there are 1000's in service with companies that put more miles on in a year than I may in 5 years riding.
The new Foreman does have limited info out on the net but the local dealer claims the engine is a lightly modified version of the Rubicons(different head and valve angles) so it should be great long term!

Old 05-01-2005, 01:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default 05 Foreman 500

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Rubicon is liquid cooled... I actually thought of air cooling as somewhat of an advantage... Long term wise, no coolant to change, water pump or hoses to eventually need replacement, and I've never had mine overheat.

Code54, I got mine at $5700 out the door. I think there are a couple of places that advertise a little cheaper, but I'm willing to pay a bit more to buy local. (If our little local shop were gone, it would sure be a PITA when you found you need a gasket, filter, or something).

Quicksilver, There's nothing wrong with the Rancher... Good looking quad, and it wasn't that long ago that a 400 or 450 was considered a large atv... I bet it runs forever.

The only thing that concerns me a little bit about mine is the seal at the pull starter that people talk about. I got mine under water a bit without really intending to... I'd put one of those seal things on, but really like the idea of having the backup pull starter.

Quick Reply: 05 Foreman 500