Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rancher AT Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 09:48 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rancher AT Questions

Based on your last post and what your looking for, I would strongly consider the Foreman over the AT. You're not going to notice any noticible difference on bottom end with the AT over the 350 and it may even be lacking in low-end grunt over the 350. The Foreman has tons of torque and would serve you much better. If you were looking for more top or mid-range speed then the AT would be it.

Old 05-04-2005, 10:33 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have had a very wet winter and spring! A lot of trails that were previously nontechnical (easily ridden on a 2wd), have turned semi and full on technical because of washouts, etc. Stream crossings are much deeper, and lots of great rock gardens have developed where you can go rock crawling! We had a fair bit of trouble getting the Recon through stuff this last weekend. I sure hope the forest service doesn't decide that it needs to "fix" the trails. I like it just like it is! God is good!

The extra weight and size of the Foreman is a negative consideration as well. There are lots of tight squezes between trees and sharp hairpin turns where the extra bulk of a bigger machine is going to be a minus. At least with a bike like the Recon or the Rancher, if you get stuck you can just lift the bike up out of the hole and set it up on some more solid ground, then try to pick a better line. What I don't want is a bike that is such a huge pig, that I have to unspool a winch to get it out if I get into trouble. But the price you pay for more horsepower, is more size and weight.

Spectra---I don't recall if you have put a Warn 424 on your machines??? Do it ASAP if you have not!

Old 05-04-2005, 10:44 AM
Pro Rider

The extra size of my Rubi was intimidating at first but I quickly got used to it. I can say that when the two are stuck the Rancher is the one I prefer to "unstick" due to its light weight and size. The high weight of some of the other brands is really bad though. I definitely second the suggestion of the Warn 424!

Old 05-04-2005, 11:25 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When our daughters ride with us and we come to a difficult place that they are uncomfotable riding through, up, or over, I ride the Rancher through for them. The Rubicona has no problems and neither does the Rancher. 95% of the time the Rancher just feels like it does it easier. The smaller size and weight (although not much) seems to make a significant difference on the technical trails. The one place the Rubicon is more comfortable is on side hills, due to its extra width.

reconranger, no unlockers. I read all of the pros of switching and so far for us it is just a non-issue. We ride double so there is not a lot of "sport" riding. So far the only side affect I have seen is our front tires (Goodyear Mud Runners) wore down faster than the rear. I am sure it is from the rear tires pushing the front end around corners because it is in 4-wd all the time. And I would rather the Rancher my daughters ride be in 4-wd all the time. I think it is a "safety" feature by keeping them out of trouble.

The biggest improvment we have made (and really the only one LOL) has been the new Maxxis Bighorn Radials. BIG ride improvement and when transversing ruts it is 10 times smoother. When you hit the other side of the rut the wheel does not try to pull out of your hands anywhere near as much. HUGE improvement. I wish Maxxis made them for our Rancher.

If we bought another Rancher, no question it would be a Rancher AT. I love the trans. Greatest thing since sliced bread. I don't see the AT being a great mud machine, but like ATV Magazine said, "not the best at any one thing, but a great ATV at everything", and I can live with that no problem.

Old 05-04-2005, 12:28 PM
Red Rider

You know how sometimes the steering will fight you on a downhill when you are in 4wd, that is what I like to get rid of with the 424. Also, you know how if you are dropping the front end off a lip, when the front hits the bottom you better be on the gas or you are going to endo? With the front unlocked, you can use all rear brake, and just let the rear slide right off.........no endo issues. But, other times it is great to have the security of locked in 4 wheel engine braking.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have a question that I hope someone will be able to answer. I puchased a 2006 Honda 400 AT last year and I am having issues with it jumping into a high gear when I am in auto while taking off slowly. It happens all the time but just started a few months ago. If I take off fast I have no problems. It only happens on take off. It starts to go then kicks into high gear and slows to a stop. once I release the gas I hear the switcher switch a few time to get back into firtst gear. If I then take off slowly again the same thing will happen. This really is a problem if you are going over somthing that you need to creep over. I brought it to Honda and the techs are unsure what is causing it to shift up so quickly. Any thoughts

Old 11-27-2007, 11:46 AM
Pro Rider

rr why dont you just get the rubi?

Old 11-27-2007, 01:46 PM
Red Rider

The original post is 2 years old!!! Luckily we now have the new Rancher 420, which is a real peach! Bought the first one my dealer got in!

The Rancher 400 AT has been discontinued...what does that tell us???

Old 11-27-2007, 01:50 PM
Red Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: proudtexan

I have a question that I hope someone will be able to answer. I puchased a 2006 Honda 400 AT last year and I am having issues with it jumping into a high gear when I am in auto while taking off slowly. It happens all the time but just started a few months ago. If I take off fast I have no problems. It only happens on take off. It starts to go then kicks into high gear and slows to a stop. once I release the gas I hear the switcher switch a few time to get back into firtst gear. If I then take off slowly again the same thing will happen. This really is a problem if you are going over somthing that you need to creep over. I brought it to Honda and the techs are unsure what is causing it to shift up so quickly. Any thoughts</end quote></div>

Try PMing KNOWSALOT or HONDA MECHANIC....

This trans had ESP right??? For the time being, can you just use that and shift it like a manual???

Old 11-27-2007, 09:11 PM
Trailblazer

This problem has been posted many times on this sight. A certified honda mechanic gave the best answer for the reason why. I tried to find it but I couldn't. The same thing happened with my 04 Rancher 400 AT. Honda isn't making this machine anymore for a reason. Hope you can get it fixed. I fixed mine by selling after 6 months. The great thing about Honda's are that they have excellent resale value.

Quick Reply: Rancher AT Questions