Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

DYNO RESULTS FINALLY

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2000, 01:08 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you know that is what they do. I kinda suspected it but where is the proof.

Old 10-11-2000, 08:40 PM
Trailblazer

DONT QUOTE ME ON THIS, BUT I THINK IT WAS ALLEN AT CT RACING THAT TOLD ME THAT...CALL AROUND AND SEE FOR YOURSELF...THEN LET US KNOW....THANKS DUDE

Old 10-12-2000, 02:05 PM
Pro Rider

That's the dumbest thing I've heard in quite a while. If they quoted HP gains that way, why don't they just take a measurement every 500rpm instead, so they can claim twice as much as they are now? Or every 200rpm, then they could claim up to FIVE TIMES as much.

In most cases, the claimed power increase is simply the greatest gain they found at any point in the power band. If it only gained 1hp peak, but gained 2hp at 5000rpm, then they claim a 2hp gain. If you simply look at the dyno runs, this becomes painfully obvious.

Old 10-12-2000, 07:36 PM
Trailblazer

HEY RETARD YOURE MISSING THE POINT...THE WAY YOU STATED IS THE CORRECT WAY TO READ DYNO RESULTS....WHAT I WAS SAYING IS THAT THE PIPE MANUFACTURES WILL READ DYNO RESULTS THE WAY I DESCRIBED TO MAKE BETTER SOUNDING CLAIMS....NEXT TIME YOU RIDE, WEAR YOUR HELMET, I HIGHLY RECCOMMEND IT CRACKED, I MEAN MOTOHEAD...

Old 10-12-2000, 08:57 PM
Range Rover

A BUDDIE BROUGHT HIS RAPTOR UP TODAY IT MADE ONLY 33 RWHP.....MAKES MY 27 RWHP LOOK GOOD ITS STOCK OTHER THAN HOLESHOTS AND A 1 TOOTH DOWN ON COUNTER SPROCKET..OTHER BUDDYS 440 KIT BE DONE SOON WILL ADVISE WHAT IT HAS WITH EVERYTHING STOCK ...........TILL THEN KEEP IT UPRIGHT.......

Old 10-12-2000, 10:27 PM
Trailblazer

The Raptor has 38.4hp at the rear wheels. Oner of my buddies but it on a dyno and that is what it reads

Old 10-12-2000, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

That definately explains the problem, it is the Dyno either reading low or the fact that you are farther above sealevel. Which I doubt is the case.

Old 10-13-2000, 04:09 PM
Pro Rider

Is the dyno that you tested on a load-bearing dyno? If so, that would explain why your numbers are slightly lower than expected.

A load-bearing dyno is one that can put a load on the rear wheels, and thus hold the engine at any given RPM by varying that load. These are used in some shops to diagnose problems while running, and also they make it faster to dial in the engine jetting and timing, but they also read about 10% lower than the inertial dynos (like Dynojet dynos), which are free-spinning dynos, and are generally more accurate (less parasitic loss).

Old 10-13-2000, 04:25 PM
Pro Rider

No, I got your point, but I believe that you are missing MY point. My point is that I believe you are wrong, that you have been misinformed. If you read my post, you will see that I describe why I believe you are wrong.

IF the aftermarket manufacturers inflate their numbers using the method you described, they could inflate them even more by summing the power gained at each 500rpm increment, instead of 1000rpm like you say. Or how about every 200rpm? Or every 1rpm? There is no limit to how much they could inflate them using that method.

Again, you need to compare their claimed HP gains with some dyno charts that are available on the net. Then you will see that, if they used the method you describe, they would be claiming 8-10hp gains, not 2-3hp. I'm sure the manufacturers claim the best-case scenerio, this is why you need to read all the fine print accompanying the dyno test. But I have never in my life seen or read anything that would indicate they are using the method you described. To the contrary, everything I HAVE seen is consistent with the method I described. If you can't provide some proof that you are right, then you need to stop trying to spread this misinformation.

Old 10-13-2000, 10:01 PM
Range Rover

ALL DYNO RESULTS ARE FROM USING A DYNO-JET DYNO.......WHICH I WILL SAY IN ALL THE DYNOS I HAVE SEEN IS WHAT EVERBODY HAS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: DYNO RESULTS FINALLY