Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Race Fuel...

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 01:11 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Race Fuel...

does a 2004 450R with a HRC kit have to use race fuel? this guy says he mixes race fuel with 92 octane. is that bad for it? cant you just use regular 87 or 89 octane?

Old 07-03-2005, 03:52 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Race Fuel...

Does anybody ever read their owners manual??? Your engine requires 91 octane or greater..........see pages 184 and 83 of your owners manual. (There is however a misprint in the "quick reference" section that says 86!) You are risking detonation and harm to your engine running anything less than 91!

One problem with unleaded is that there is no lubrication for the upper cylinder (lead provided this in the old days). Around here 91 octane is the highest pump gas available and it is oxygenated. (If you have 92 where you live, it probably is not oxygenated.) Rather than add some leaded race gas, what I do is add some Klotz ocatne booster(http://www.klotzlube.com/storeProdDetails.asp?pi=50). It boosts the octane slightly for a margin of error against detonation, preserves the gas (in case the gas or bike are in storage a long time), and provides some nice ester synthetic lubrication for the top end. Makes the exhaust smell funny though.

Old 07-03-2005, 04:07 PM
Pro Rider
Default Race Fuel...

i use rocket fuel[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-03-2005, 06:06 PM
Range Rover
Default Race Fuel...

Originally posted by: reconranger
Does anybody ever read their owners manual??? Your engine requires 91 octane or greater..........see pages 184 and 83 of your owners manual. (There is however a misprint in the "quick reference" section that says 86!) You are risking detonation and harm to your engine running anything less than 91!

One problem with unleaded is that there is no lubrication for the upper cylinder (lead provided this in the old days). Around here 91 octane is the highest pump gas available and it is oxygenated. (If you have 92 where you live, it probably is not oxygenated.) Rather than add some leaded race gas, what I do is add some Klotz ocatne booster(<a href="http://www.klotzlube.com/storeProdDetails.asp?pi=50">http://www.klotzlube.com/storeProdDe...pi=50</A&gt[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]. It boosts the octane slightly for a margin of error against detonation, preserves the gas (in case the gas or bike are in storage a long time), and provides some nice ester synthetic lubrication for the top end. Makes the exhaust smell funny though.
well i dont own a 450R yet. but on tuesday i might get one. so no i cant look in the manual yet until i get it. so..... do i want oxygenated 92 octane gas or not? if i just put 92 octane in it. will i be fine without having to add other stuff?

Old 07-03-2005, 08:32 PM
Red Rider
Default Race Fuel...

See this post-- http://forums.atvconnection.com/mess...TARTPAGE/1.cfm

Sorry Xracer, I thought you were a fellow 450R owner, and I assumed you were somebody who couldn't read an owners manual!

It is always helpfull when folks list their (own) bikes, so we know what their frame of reference is.

Old 07-03-2005, 09:35 PM
Range Rover
Default Race Fuel...

sorry but. im still not really following you correctly. from what i read. only the places that have 91 octane are the ones with problems and need to have that octane booster... correct? but my local gas station has 3 options. regular unleaded (87) octane. Super-unleaded (89) octane and Premium unleaded (92) octane. now i want to know is can i just use the 92 octane and be safe? or will i still need to put that race fuel booster in it too?

if yes.. where can i get some other then ordering it off the internet? would a auto parts store have some?

Old 07-04-2005, 10:38 AM
Red Rider
Default Race Fuel...

If it were me, I would still add some Klotz to any pump gas, if for nothing else but to get some all important lubrication for the upper cylinder. I get my Klotz octane booster from Chaparral, $5.85 a 16 oz. can. That will do 16 gallons of gas (1 oz./gal.). Look around, and you might find it at an auto parts store. (Be carefull, because I don't think most octane boosters contain upper cylinder lubricants!)

It will depend on what octane your own bike requires. For my bikes that requiere 87, I bump it up to 89 for a margin of safety against detonation. For my bikes that require 91, I bump it up to 93.

-------->To add a signiture, go into PROFILE. Near the bottom of the page there is a box where you can type it in.

Old 07-04-2005, 01:24 PM
Range Rover
Default Race Fuel...

k thank you. im gonna call around today and see what stores have some. thats pretty cheap... 5.95 for a 16 ounce (which lasts 16 gallons) i thought it would be more expensive, that why i was a little worried about if i should by the 450R or not. but yea, ill go buy some octane booster soon as i can.

Old 07-31-2005, 12:55 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Race Fuel...

Aviation fuel has a lot of lead in it and octane is 100 if the fuel is blue. Unlikely to find any of the 87 octane red fuel any more. Try mixing 3 or 4 parts 87 regular with 1 part avgas. The avgas will put lead deposits on the plugs as well as the valves, so don't run it straight, or tank after tank. Run it occassionally with most pump fuel. Avgas is much more stable in storage than regular pump fuel, which should have 'fuel stabilizer' added and run to put new fuel in the carb if you plan on storing longer than a couple of months without using all the fuel out of the tank.