Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Just picked up brand new 05 Rubicon Canadian Trail Edition

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 09:29 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just picked up brand new 05 Rubicon Canadian Trail Edition

I Need some reassurance here guys. I just picked the machine up last Thursday and I am feeling a little guilty about the fact that I have maybe driven it a little harder than I should have for the first few days. I hear a lot of people (including Honda) saying NO full throttle for the first early break-in period. I've got 22 miles on it and I have ran it pretty hard in short spurts and even full throttle down the road for about 10-15 seconds. The machine is doing a bit of back-firing when I gradually slow down from full thottle, but other than that it is working perfect. I've heard some people say that breaking them in hard (including cars etc.) isn't necessarily a bad thing either. I'm just a little woried that I may have done some sort of long term damage that will show up in 4-5 years??? any opinions...it is a Honda after all!

Old 07-12-2005, 10:16 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

It is best to break an engine in hard, otherwise you won't seat the rings. (Can't say anything about the break in of your particular transmission however.) In fact, you probably haven't pushed it hard enough.

When I get a new bike, I take it out and do nasty hillclimbs (UP and DOWN!). Full throtle going up, and fast with full engine compression braking coming down. I do heat cycle the engine however. I do three runs on the hill, cool the bike off COMPLETELY, then do it again the next day. I do this every day for about a week, then ride it normally after that.

Think about it. Is Honda going to tell folks who just bought a new bike that they aren't familiar with, to go blast around at full throtle??? No way! Somebody would get hurt and sue them. The lawyers won out over the engineers on this one!

I have two buddies I ride with who are Highway Patrol. They got identical new patrol cars at the same time. One broke his in hard, and the other babied it. From what I understand, the one broken in easy is absolutely pathetic!

One review said the C Trails Edition has outstanding suspension. Let us know what you think!

Old 07-12-2005, 12:03 PM
Range Rover

The CTE does have outstanding suspension. It would rival any IRS I have driven. In fact I would say the bike rides as good or better than my buddies 04 Grizzlie. It is awsome to have a ride like this, yet still have the benefits that go with a SRA. In fact the whole machine is very impressive. The power is strong and responsive thanks to a bigger carb (36mm vs. 33mm on 04's), a new throttle position sensor, and Honda has remapped the computer in the hondamatic transmission for better response. Beleive me, you can feel all of these enhancements...I would say that it feels like about 20% more power from 04's. I'm not one to race utility quads much, but this machine has me so excited I'm willing to run some of my buddies on their 500's (vinson's, 500 h.o's, etc.) I think I can run with or even beat most other 500's out there. I had mine up to 58.3 mph going up a slight hill the first day and it was definately still climbing convincingly when I let off on it. I'm sure it will do 60+ mph, especially once it's broken in. Thanks for the info...I will continue to break it in fairly hard then, without worrying about doing damage.

Old 07-12-2005, 01:01 PM
Red Rider

I wonder if they are test marketing the CTE mods up there, and they will follow up with the same down here. Seems like it would pay for someone from the US to pick one up up there.

Honda pretty much suspends its utes like they will be used for work machines (an exception would be the Rincon). Thing is, most will just get trail ridden, and never used for serious load bearing. It would be a big plus for Honda to go with adjustable shocks that could be used for work, then soffened up for the trail.

Old 07-12-2005, 01:24 PM
Range Rover

You are exactly right recon! Truth is I live on a farm so mine really does get loaded down and worked hard, which my previous machine worked well for (Foreman 450). But the new CTE is multi talented and I think it will probably excell in just about every catagory. I've actually been doing more trail riding lately, so I wanted a better ride. The new Foreman 500 would also have been a good choice, but one test ride on the CTE and I had to have one.

Old 07-12-2005, 03:19 PM
Pro Rider

It sounds like this Canadian Trail Edition Rubicon should be the regular Rubi. Finally, a 500 Honda that may possibly compete with the Vinson. A Rubi with suspension and power more tuned towards fun and trail riding then work and utility. If they made this the mainstream Rubicon, with the new styling, people could no longer call it the Rubix Cube and it would have performance to match. Now for discs on the rear! If they can remap the computer and make it quicker, why isn't there an aftermarket programmer that will do this as well?

Old 07-12-2005, 03:56 PM
Range Rover

Those are all good points goblin.....I wouldn't be surprised to see this same machine available in the U.S soon. Maybe they'll call it "American Trail Edition" or something. I can't beleive Canada got something cool like this before you guys, that's got to be a first. Actually when I got the machine I got the brochure explaining how the machine was developed in Canada over months and months of time. Apparently Honda sent over hundreds of machines, several prototype shocks, several engineers etc. They wanted to get everything just right, the shocks had to be on just the right angle, the power and handling had to be balanced perfectly and everything was tested in the Canadian north. They studied all of the different types of terrain from muskeg, to fire roads, to clear cuts, and of course mud/snow. I think they have developed a hell of a machine, and can't wait to see how it stacks up against the competition. I already know that the ride and handling is almost unbeatable, I just want to see how the power compares to the others, but I suspect it will fair well in that catagory too.

Trending Topics

Old 07-12-2005, 06:09 PM
Pro Rider

Really enough to stay with a Vinson, which is considered the leader of the 500 category as far as performance?

Old 07-12-2005, 06:35 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want your Rubicons to ride a lot nicer, try radial tires. We put on some Maxxis Bighorns and they made a huge difference. We did replace Goodyear Mudrunners, which were hard tires.

If you ride your Rubicon a little hard, I would recommend using ESP as much as possible, especially for gearing down. You shoud break in "both sides" of the engine. Both the power side and decel side.

Old 07-13-2005, 09:55 AM
Red Rider

If these suspension mods are something that works out for Honda, it would be nice to see them on the entire lineup, and also offered as an aftermarket option for those who already have machines. (Lots of money to be made here, Honda!)

I actually ride my utilities as "go anywhere sport bikes". When the rocks get to big or the streams get to deep for the sport bikes, then I switch to the utes. Better suspension would be a very welcome mod!

I have ridden all my buddies (huge and heavy!) big bore IRS bikes, and I really think I prefer SRA for everything but mild trail cruising.