Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

31 yr old rookie! I will gladly take 50 responses on the purchase of my first ATV!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 01:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 31 yr old rookie! I will gladly take 50 responses on the purchase of my first ATV!

Like the title said I am a rookie BUT I feel too many people ask what they should get w/o providing enough info. Here's my info so that you experienced atv guys can lend me a huge helping hand if you don't mind. I sold my one and only "toy" ('97 seadoo waverunner, bought new) after riding it a ton, to buy my wife's wedding ring. My friends still are shocked (8-9 yrs later) that I didn't buy an atv because obviously you can use them 12 months a yr vs 3 (in St. Louis) and I've wanted one all of my life....well the time has come. I have $3400 saved and by the end of the year I will have enough.

First, places I would ride...my buddy has 100 acres of woods, hills, fields, and a creek about 25 minutes away and those familiar with this area know that about 35-45 min away is St. Joe park (2,000 acres for off road use owned by the state, $2 a day to ride). My brother in law (1 hr away) has hundreds of acres outside his front door in an area that is not developed either...lots of great creeks, trails... Also, my subdivision has a little area of fields and woods and won't be fully developed for another 2 yrs, so at least after a day's work, I could jump on it for a quick ride around (even to the pool, another guy takes his golf cart) and blow off some steam. Obviously, I don't have the absolute best riding areas like some of you but I wanted to paint a picture for you of where I would ride....mostly trails, but speed is still important to me.

I am 6'5", 255 lbs so having a bike that will fit me is very important. I know I am a rookie but with my size I def would want a sport bike at 400 or above or a utility at 500 or above. That brings me to the milliion dollar ? of where to start there. I prefer a sport (really considering the 450r and can't wait to see what '06 brings) but will it be too much for a rookie? My personal belief is that after a few times out I'd probably be fine. The benefit to a utility is riding with my 6 yr old daughter or 3 yr old son. (he has the polaris 700 battery operated quad and absolutely loves it!...anyone know where to get those rubber belts that go over the plastic tires to keep it from wearing bigger holes in them?) I will be the first generation atv rider in the family and def want them to have 50cc and 80cc quads in just a few yrs (he's only 3). I guess if I had a utility I would probably have a plow (for that once or twice a yr big snow) and it would be good to ride with a buddy that wants a utility as well for hunting but a sport just looks like so much fun. I rode my bro in laws 300 AC the other day and it was way to slow, heavy, and didn't handle well at all) I saw a guy's 450r the other day and absolutely loved the way it looks. I subscribe to 2 atv mags, read almost everything here I can and am now relying on your advice. I am posting my story here because I am partial to Honda's. On the utility side I would prefer it to be EFI, but it doesn't have to be (I know Honda doesn't have one yet, also like the Suz KingQuad) and with IRS (I wouldn't be towing anything) and 500cc or so, I really don't want anything less and I don't need any of the new heavy 800's. On the sport side...I really like what I read and hear about the 450r, and would also consider a 400, although not my first choice. Is the 450r too much for the trails, fields, creeks....etc?

I have advantages and disadvantages to owning a sport or a utility for my first quad. Sorry guys this is sooo long....I have waited a LONG time to post this and I can't wait to get started in the ATV world (even at 31!) and raise both of my kids to ride!

Any help or advice would be GREATLY appreciated and if I left anything out PLEASE ASK!

Old 07-16-2005, 01:52 PM
Pro Rider
Default 31 yr old rookie! I will gladly take 50 responses on the purchase of my first ATV!

if speed is more your thing like you said ,i say go for the 450r but i would wait for the 06 450r because the 06 will have a advantage over the 05 and 04 450r.but i say go test ride all of them and pick the one you like best.

Old 07-16-2005, 02:01 PM
Pro Rider

thanks 4 your response, I appreciate it....in your opinion is the 450r too much for a starter and 2nd, how do you feel it would do on the trails, creek bed's, fields...stuff like that....I know a utility would do just fine but then I give up some handling, speed, and lightness but I guess it's worth it (?) if you think a 450r wouldn't be that great on the above riding area's......or would it do absolutely fine?

Old 07-16-2005, 02:09 PM
Trailblazer

I was thinking the exact same thing as Blackbird. Just keep in mind that its not a begginers quad but use a little caution at first and grow into it at a safe pace and you'll be fine.

Old 07-16-2005, 02:10 PM
Pro Rider

unless your going to be mud bogging the 450r will be fine.i been to st joes park about 4 years ago, if i remember right its a little rocky but lot of sand trails too .think you'll have more fun roosting sand around more on the 450r on those trails.

Old 07-16-2005, 02:17 PM
Pro Rider

ok, thanks! That sounds like it answers the ? as far as riding areas and that both would do fine! I bought my waverunner b4 I had ever even ridden one. When my mind is made up it is made up (after all of my research and talking to different people) but on the purchase of my first ATV I def want to ride several first and in both the utility and sport categories. How do I test ride a 450r w/o looking like a complete idiot?

Also, if I go with a utility I really would like a newer one (poss EFI, IRS) but still be a manual shift....I think it would be a lot more fun and I would be in more control...I know we are talking preference here but is that stupid? Are the ES's just as good, fun, reliable?

Old 07-16-2005, 02:27 PM
Range Rover

I think you should look at the Honda Rincon. It has the best handling and suspension of any sport-utility and will easily do 60 mph . The Rincon is a 4wd sport/trail bike that can do some work on the side. I plow with mine 4 months a year without a problem. The 450r is an awesome piece of machinery, but it is very limited as to what it can do. You can't plow, go through deep water or carry anything with you.

The Rincon has a fully automatic mode and ESP, which lets you shift through the three speeds at your own pace. The ESP mode is super fun and adds a level of control only available from Honda.

My vote is for the Rincon because it is a hybrid sport/utility that would let you ride a variety of conditions and terrain because of the ground clearance and 4wd.

Good luck.

Old 07-16-2005, 02:35 PM
Pro Rider

defintly get a 4x4. the first thing that will happen if you get a 450 is your old lady will get jealous and want to ride with you. well if you put heron the back of the r the front end will be light and she will have to walk up any steep areas. If you get a 4x4 you can creep up the ruff stuff and she won't have to get off.

Old 07-16-2005, 02:38 PM
Pro Rider

thanks! It would probably be the 450r on the sport side or Rincon (maybe rubicon) on the utility side. I just read the shootout in one of my atv mags (either atv rider or atv action) on the polaris 700 vs its EFI counterpart and they actually didn't say as many great things about EFI as I thought they would. I believe that more ATV's will have this in the next few yrs but do you think that would make a difference on your rincon at all or do you wish you had it? I know part of the talk regarding Honda not yet releasing their '06 rincon is that people think they may be coming out with their first EFI machine. The decision for me between sport and utility is a tough one because they have such huge advantages and disadvantages to each. If I knew I wouldn't get bored with a utility that was a little sportier when it comes to some small jumps, speed, and handling then I would def buy one. Is that basically what you are saying as a rincon owner that you don't miss the very top end speed and you don't need to jump 12 feet in the air so you are happy with everything else it does in comparison?

Old 07-16-2005, 03:17 PM
Pro Rider

Stocks, welcome to the forum and ATVing! If your local dealerships are like mine, the chances of you getting to test ride a 450R are slim to none. However, test riding a sport/utility is highly possible, especially after you let them know you're a potential buyer. I hate to toot my own horn here, but for what you've described wanting as far as recreational trail riding, speed and lots of features on a utility machine, I would really suggest you go out and test a Suzuki KingQuad. It handles as good as a Rincon, has much more power, EFI, a locker, low range, disc brakes in the front and sealed plates in the rear that require no maintenance for 6,000 miles, 3 independent headlights, tops out at 72 mph and doesn't take long to get there at all. The aftermarket is just starting to heat up for this machine and will only get better. Polaris's EFI is ridiculous really. The EFI on the Suzuki is great. Awesome fuel economy, easy starts no matter what temperature, elevation changes don't pose a threat although I don't think that would appeal to you right next door in Missouri. Let me know if you have any other questions! I can also vouch for a Honda Rubicon, but I don't think that's what you're looking for.

Quick Reply: 31 yr old rookie! I will gladly take 50 responses on the purchase of my first ATV!